Ash-covered soleseife

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cin

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a photo of my very ashy soleseife.

In photo, top soap is after 4 week cure.
Middle bar is cut in half. You can see the rind of ash.
Bottom bar is after washing the bar.

Has anyone experienced this amount of ash with their soleseife?

Attachments

• citrus soleseife ash.JPG
    citrus soleseife ash.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 51
I have that on regular bars too. Depends on the recipe for me.
My Salt bars always have thick ash that it is too hard to wash off or steam off easy. SO I just leave it

My charcoal soleseife bars always ash badly. I gave up trying to get rid of it since it will wash off when the soap is used. I will mention that I have never noticed any irritation from the soda ash as was mentioned in another thread.

I've gotten an even thicker layer of ash when I tried zany's no slime castile, but only in the portion that didn't go into the oven. Now that I think of it, my only other attempt at soleseife also went into the oven and barely got any ash (I was trying to gel both times but failed). Maybe faster saponification because of the heat slightly protects soap from ash?

I've gotten an even thicker layer of ash when I tried zany's no slime castile, but only in the portion that didn't go into the oven. Now that I think of it, my only other attempt at soleseife also went into the oven and barely got any ash (I was trying to gel both times but failed). Maybe faster saponification because of the heat slightly protects soap from ash?
How random. My Zany's has just a mild coating on top, and did not go in the oven. This soleseife though has it on 6 sides. I haven't seen that before.

I dont have ash on any of my soleseife bars, tho in this humid weather it would have disappeared anyway as my salt soaps are weeping badly. As is Zanys no slime castile......sigh. But no ash on them...

I see in my notes now that I used a 30% lye concentration. Perhaps this is the reason...

I also had soda ash on my soleseife soap so I now spray with denatured alcohol and prevent gel by putting in the fridge.

Anything is possible...my scale could be off, or I could be off....
This made me giggle lol.. so many comebacks in my head right now, most of em not appropriate for this forum lols

I'm off too, most days haha

But yeah... I've gotten bad ash on my soleseifes too. I noticed that the bar that had the worst, all 6 sides like yours, is the one I tried to unmold first. I pulled on the sides of the mold, so I guess the soap was exposed to air before it should have been or something... The rest of them only got ash on the tops. But that particular batch wasn't too ashy, and I used 10% vinegar along with the brine.

I have one soleseife that didn't get ash at all... I'm still trying to figure out how I managed that one lol

My soleseifes (100 percent olive oil, made with seawater) are always ashy. I think it add character:)

It’s very frustrating that there are so many variables that seem to favor ash forming. I was getting a lot of ash in the beginning, but only very infrequently since I raised my lye concentration to at least 33% and make sure that my emulsion is very stable. I always cover my soap, usually put the soap in a warmed oven and almost never spray with alcohol.

The unscented Zany’s No-Slime Castile soaps I made in individual cavity molds 2+ weeks ago are ash free and are not weeping. They are in an air conditioned room that is about 78F. From my notes, here’s what I did in case it helps. I used 37% lye concentration and started SB’ing when the batter temp was 105F. It took about 25 minutes to get to light trace at which point the batter was 99F. I then covered the soaps with a cardboard box, CPOP’d them at 140F for a few hours (didn’t record exactly how long) and left them to cool overnight in the oven.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back