Arthritis

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much. I am allergic to diary. Is there any way I can adapt this?
I have constant pain too.

I have middle aged hormones that cause very stiff joints (and sometimes sleep issues) at certain times of the month and have been looking for ideas so I'm very grateful for this thread.

Because I eat very low carb, (which helps with both of my problems) I read http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/ and she's had information on Great Lakes Gelatin and it's uses. She also recommends bone broth, which contains gelatin and collagen. I bought some, but haven't been using it.

As for flax (I love it - have a great flax cranberry muffin recipe), if I remember correctly it's important to grind it yourself because it's goes rancid so quickly, which contributes to inflammation. Makes me wonder if baking with it is wise, but I haven't bothered to research it.

Essential oils (I keep ratio of 1.5% ) ginger, frankincense (boswellia serata) fir pine, Eucalyptus, Camphor, juniper berries, stinging nettle OO infusion and Arnica, that the most efective salve for arthritis :)) It could be just oil without the beeswax......

I take 1 teaspoon of organic bee pollen granules daily and my hip and knee does not have the arthritis feel. I have been taking it for a few years. I just take 1/4 teaspoon and chew it several times a day until I get to a teaspoon. Taste a little sweet and natural . I don't buy capsules. Says to help all types of allergies, cholesterol and overall good health. You are suppose to put a few granules under your tongue initially to ensure you don't have a reaction. Any type of herb or essential oil, we could have reactions to. I will be 64 this summer and could feel it when the weather changed. Not any more. Thank goodness. Now if it could just take away my fine lines (wrinkles) in my face and turn back time.

Finding real organic is tough as bees fly a long way.
Below is some organic from Canada and US. You can do a search on bee pollen and what it does. Interesting reading.

Dutchmans-gold-bee-pollen-granules

Lots of good suggestions here. I have a bit of arthritis, and also a torn rotor cuff, "carpal tunnel" type nerve damage (it is further up in my arm) and more recently I fell, landing on my arm and compressed the ulnar nerve. What I have found that helps all of the above is the topical use of Capsaicin. You can buy the Capzasin-HP but it is a bit pricey. Several years ago I used to make my own, putting the ground hot peppers in some lotion.

I know some people are sensitive and can't use it, but for me it works wonders. I know flax seed is good and keep meaning to get into the habit of taking it.

quick question : did you guys change your eating / dietary habits as well ? because that plays the biggest part as well , such as staying away from processed foods , gluten , plus sugars? the older we get the body does not process certain foods in the same way as when we were younger. for me i give up too much fry foods , too much sweets [ i am a reformed cake lover :) ] i make my own drinks such as teas and herbal combinations as well as juices , like ginger as well as hibiscus and i keep the sugar very low . i use turmeric in my cooking as a sprinkle [a tablespoon full ] just before i serve my dishes, i mix it in while the food is still in the pot . the flaxseed i add to my oatmeal . another thing you can try as well is " black cumin seed oil " that comes in jell capsules , it reduces inflammation as well , i have used it to control my asthma for several years now . all of these remedies i take on and off at two to three weeks at a time and rotate them . garlic and ginger which both have similar properties works as well , just be aware that they both thins the blood over a period of time , but they work on inflammation as well .

http://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...nti-inflammatory/eat-to-beat-inflammation.php

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a.../02/anti-inflammatory-foods-herbs-spices.aspx

quick question : did you guys change your eating / dietary habits as well ?

I've had good eating habits for a long time now. Very little processed foods, lots of fruit and veggies, beans and grains, salmon, very little sugar. Of course, it would be better for me if I ate less of these wonderful foods and lost some weight. That's on my to do list! :grin: I think good nutrition can't help but improve overall health, so it can only be beneficial for arthritis, too. I'm trying to eat even more foods that are on the anti-inflammatory list, and fewer of those that are inflammatory. Whatever will help, and keep me away from pain pills.

Last edited:
Essential oils (I keep ratio of 1.5% ) ginger, frankincense (boswellia serata) fir pine, Eucalyptus, Camphor, juniper berries, stinging nettle OO infusion and Arnica, that the most efective salve for arthritis :)) It could be just oil without the beeswax......

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'm going to make it for my dad. I'm not sure if I'm going to use cera bellina or just plain beeswax. Did you infuse the nettle and arnica together or separate?

For hip and low back pain, I recommend that you try a stretching/ glute muscle activation program. It stretches tight hips and realigns the body.
QUOTE]
I've been doing this for some time at the gym, but it still doesn't get rid of the pain.

I also asked the chemist about natural alternatives and she said that linseed is not as good as fish oil and that glucosamine and chondroitin haven't been proven to do anything.

Soap maker I infuse it separate, I would have to look, I think I had not give you all EO: cinnamon bark extract and clove; Make no more than 1.5 % of all salve. I mean make a blend equal parts of EOs and then weight mixed to get 1.5% , Cera bellina can of course substitute for beeswax. I am not sure if it is the same amount, I had never used, believing that beeswax have some healing abilities too;) If you are in doubts send me pm. Not good for nursing mothers, children and people allergic to Regweed

As far as the glute activation program, it is preventative. If the damage is too severe, it will help some but it won't be curative. The program I recommended is very subtle with "boring" movements designed to reach some small muscles in the hip. I don't know what program you tried, but the gym type programs I've seen are very different. Some of them can cause more problems when done with tight hips.

If you haven't seen an orthopedist to assess any damage you may have, I think it is worth doing. We all hurt our backs without knowing it until the damage becomes severe enough to feel it. A good orthopedist will give you specific recommendations for a physical therapist to help strengthen and "rebalance" the right muscles, and will follow your progress along the way.

I didn't just TRY a gym program as you put it. That is just where I do my exercises and have been going there for the last 16 yrs. It is in a Government Institution where they teach and they have specific guidelines that have to followed to the letter. I wouldn't be going there so long, if I thought it was detrimental to my health.

I have specific exercises that I do for the hip flexors, glutes etc. that have been worked out for me by my osteo/chiro who I have been with for the last 30 yrs. She follows my progress, I don't need a physio. She was the one who found my problem in the first place and is very respected in her field. She hasn't taken on any new clients in 20 yrs because that would impact on her current clients getting an appointment when they need it.

I also have been in specific programs that are run by the gym, on a one on one basis, with students doing their diploma as a personal trainer who work out exercises specific to your conditions. They are managed and supervised by an Exercise Physiologist from a University.

So I am active and informed for my health issues and don't participate in something until I find out it helps my problems and yes I still have pain. I don't expect it to be curative, just managed. Muscles are only there to hold everything together that's why they need to be strong or be strengthened. I have been doing weight training for the last 16 yrs to keep my muscles strong and specific to my needs at the time of training and as time has progressed it gets changed.

As far as supplements go, I'm open to getting the right information that I can put forward to my doctor to see if it's not contraindicated with medications that I'm on. That as far as I can see can only be determined by a health professional.

For what it's worth, I've cut back on the Reuma Art to one a day, just to see if I could get away with taking less, and my hips are still feeling fine. My hand is good today, too. And while I rarely run into any major problems with my asthma, there's almost always a tiny bit of tightness in my chest. That seems to have improved too. I really wish I had waited a while longer after starting the golden milk, to try the Reuma Art, so that I could better judge which one seems to be working. So I may stop taking the Reuma Art for a while, even though I hate the idea of my hips hurting again, just to see what happens. Or it may just be a combination of the two, I guess there's only one way to tell. Wish me luck!

As you can see by my Profile I'm not in the U.S. and I'm sure it would differ with each country, so I think we have to be mindful on giving out specific information regarding health issues, because the forum is world wide and just not U.S. based.

As you can see by my Profile I'm not in the U.S. and I'm sure it would differ with each country, so I think we have to be mindful on giving out specific information regarding health issues, because the forum is world wide and just not U.S. based.

I deleted my posts since I don't want anybody to misinterpret what I wrote.

Just an update on the results of maintaining the turmeric, but trying to go without the Reuma Art, to see what would happen. Five days off the Reuma Art, and I woke up in the middle of the night with hip pain, and I'm hurting this morning. My hand is still good, but the hips, not so much. I took the Reuma Art this morning, and I'm going to still take the turmeric, and see how little of the Reuma Art I can get away with, maybe one a day, or even one every other day? Time will tell. In this short period of time, I had really gotten used to not having any hip pain, and I can tell you that waking up with it this morning really sucks. Anxious to see how long it takes the Reuma Art to kick in.

Back