*$&#$ Arrrghhh...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imblebee

Reaction score
So I wanted to make a coffee soap... no big dealio', right? Wrong.

50% Crisco, 35% soybean and 15% castor. (using up what I have and tinkering for FO's) I melt the oils, no biggie. I stir the oils, mmm, all melted. Oils are "maybe", and I mean maybe 100 deg. So sure, lets add in the FO. Great, smells pretty good... Ok, lye is now measured out. Little water discount (although with what happened next I don't think any amount of water would have saved this monster).

Lye hits oils, I start stirring. "weirdo, why isn't the stickblender moving? Whaa?!? %*&%^"

This has never happened to me before so my guess is that I just witnessed ricing in all it's big bad glory. The mixture was half liquid and half chunky mess. I tried to blend everything but it ended up looking super dry and chunky after less than a minute. It looks like I made some yummy thanksgiving stuffing...

I just tossed the steaming hunk of stuffing (it got hot insanely fast and started to gel in under 2 minutes!) into the oven in a covered casserole dish. I have the oven set to 200 and I am going to let it mellow out there. I have never "truly" hot processed before... I just know that when it all starts to gel and looks like vaseline that means it's just about done.

Anyone have any HP tips for me?

Oh, btw... Natures garden, "original coffee"... it'll give you something original alright.... :shock:

*update: 10 minutes in the oven: FULL GELL with extras!

Full gel has been reached... some chalky chunked "un-gelled" pieces remain?! Not sure what to do about those... I think I'll let it mellow out a bit more and then go in there with a fork to break up the party... :shock:

On a nicer note, the mixture is pretty fluid :D

Imblebee said:
FULL GELL with extras!
:D

LOL!! Dont ya hate when that weird stuff happens? Maybe the "extras" will turn out like you meant to do it....
I'm curious to see what happens.

wow I have never seen anything move that fast ..Good save though.

I think a new soaping term has been born " full gell with extras" love it :D

I am curious to see what happens next ..

Kitn

Latest posts

Back