Arnica oil SAP value and properties?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br93lx

Reaction score
Hi! I’m new to the soap world. What started as a science experiment last year with homeschooling has grown into a big interest of mine. As my DH has been having a lot of aches and pain, I’ve thought that Arnica oil may have some nice qualities in a soap. Has any one used arnica oil in their soaps? I can’t seem to find the saponification value anywhere. In lue of that information, I’m may add it at trace for a superfatting effect. I would love any information you guys have on arnica oil and any recommendations on how to use it in the soaping process.

Arnica itself isn't an oil. The flowers are infused in a carrier oil. The sap value of arnica oil is the sap value for the carrier oil.

Don't expect the medicinal properties of arnica to survive saponification. Unless you can find scientific studies to prove these properties do survive, there are no guarantees this happens.

Even if we assume arnica does survive being exposed to lye, you have to also consider how soap is used. Most people soap up and rinse off, so the suds are only on the skin for seconds at best. You're probably going to get greater benefits from a leave-on product.

Just because arnica is an herbal remedy doesn't mean it's harmless -- arnica can cause unintended side effects if used indiscriminately. It's best to use it in a targeted way -- only where it's needed. Caution When Using Arnica Products

It's a myth that adding ingredients at trace will protect them from the lye -- saponification is only getting started at that point.

As DeeAnna points out, you would be wasting the Arnica by adding it to lye soap. It is quite nice in a balm. I buy mine at HEB in Texas when visiting in that area. One jar lasts me a long time, and it's fairly inexpensive. Walgreen's carries it as well, so I don't really have to go to Texas for it, however, I visit family regularly & did live there for a brief while.

If you want long lasting effects of Arnica and want to make your own products for your Husband's pain, I'd suggest trying the balm first and see if it helps him. THEN, if it does, you can buy the extract and incorporate into a home-made balm.

Here is a link to the powdered extract, which you can purchase (or find elsewhere.)

There are contraindications to working with or using arnica: If YOU are pregnant, or breast feeding you should not work with or use arnica. If you or DH is allergic to ragweed, marigolds or sunflowers, neither should work with or use it. If taking warfarin or other blood thinners, arnica should not be used as it can potentiate the effect of blood thinners. Also if taking aspirin or other platelet inhibitor drugs, arnica should not be used as it is also a platelet inhibitor. It can cause contact dermatitis, so while handling raw, wear gloves.

Arnica itself isn't an oil. The flowers are infused in a carrier oil. The sap value of arnica oil is the sap value for the carrier oil.

Don't expect the medicinal properties of arnica to survive saponification. Unless you can find scientific studies to prove these properties do survive, there are no guarantees this happens.

Even if we assume arnica does survive being exposed to lye, you have to also consider how soap is used. Most people soap up and rinse off, so the suds are only on the skin for seconds at best. You're probably going to get greater benefits from a leave-on product.

Just because arnica is an herbal remedy doesn't mean it's harmless -- arnica can cause unintended side effects if used indiscriminately. It's best to use it in a targeted way -- only where it's needed. Caution When Using Arnica Products

It's a myth that adding ingredients at trace will protect them from the lye -- saponification is only getting started at that point.
Thank you for your information. Upon examining the arnica oil that I have,

Pure Essential Oil Works 100% Pure Arnica Oil, 100% Pure, Natural, Paraben-Free and Therapeutic Grade, 8 Ounces,

It say 100% pure but also states in the description that it can be added to EO’s to use in massage essentially making it a carrier oil. There is no listed carrier oil in the ingredients and no answer from the manufacturer as to which oil is used to infuse the arnica. Very misleading description on Amazon. It does smell wonderful and and is non greasy. I was hoping that some of the properties and smell would survive the lye process but I absolutely understand that the lye process if vicious. Thank you for quick response.

As DeeAnna points out, you would be wasting the Arnica by adding it to lye soap. It is quite nice in a balm. I buy mine at HEB in Texas when visiting in that area. One jar lasts me a long time, and it's fairly inexpensive. Walgreen's carries it as well, so I don't really have to go to Texas for it, however, I visit family regularly & did live there for a brief while.

If you want long lasting effects of Arnica and want to make your own products for your Husband's pain, I'd suggest trying the balm first and see if it helps him. THEN, if it does, you can buy the extract and incorporate into a home-made balm.

Here is a link to the powdered extract, which you can purchase (or find elsewhere.)

There are contraindications to working with or using arnica: If YOU are pregnant, or breast feeding you should not work with or use arnica. If you or DH is allergic to ragweed, marigolds or sunflowers, neither should work with or use it. If taking warfarin or other blood thinners, arnica should not be used as it can potentiate the effect of blood thinners. Also if taking aspirin or other platelet inhibitor drugs, arnica should not be used as it is also a platelet inhibitor. It can cause contact dermatitis, so while handling raw, wear gloves.
Thank you for the great information. I was aware of the platelet effect and pregnancy and breast feeding contraindications but didn’t realize the ragweed allergy which I definitely have. I’ve been adding the oil to a lotion and my DH says it was helpful which is why I though about adding it to a soap recipe. I have not tried making my own balm yet but will absolutely use gloves if I decide to use the powdered extract. Thank you for the link.

Arnica oil is an infused oil; you'll need to know which oil the plant material is infused into and look for that SAP value. On a side note, the botanical properties will likely not survive the saponification process. I would use it in a cream or lotion instead.
That seems to be the consensus. I do not know the oil it was infused in so I will stick to adding it to lotion. Thank you. You‘ve all been wonderful.

...It say 100% pure but also states in the description that it can be added to EO’s to use in massage essentially making it a carrier oil....

I see that -- but they actually put it this way -- "Can also be diluted with any essential oil to use for massage..."

I have no idea why they would suggest using essential oils to dilute this product for use in massage. This is another big dose of misinformation. Essential oils need to be diluted by carrier oils for use on or in the body for safety, not the other way around.

Another seller -- Pure Essential Oil Works Arnica Oil, 8 Ounces -- spouts the same general ad copy as the Amazon listing, but this seller lists the ingredients -- Sesame (Sesamum Indicum) Oil, Arnica Extract.

Sesame oil has a short shelf life, so it wouldn't be my first choice for using in an infusion, but if that was what I had, I'd keep it refrigerated to slow the progress of rancidity.

I've used arnica gel successfully for faster healing of post-op bruising, as well as general bruising. Didn't know about the contraindications, which are good to know since I often recommend it to others post-surgery, and I would want them to know about this in case they take any of those meds or have any of those conditions.

Latest posts

Back