Armour Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will work great for you. A lot of people these days forget the the Armour Meat Packing company also made soap! Dial soap to be specific, which was the best selling US soap from the early 1950's thru the mid to late 1960's Then that nasty smelling Irish Spring came out which was so strongly scented that any man who used it you could smell two furlongs away before arriving! That's when I switched to Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap. for several years. Then switched back to DIAL, etc., so on, and so forth. When LEVER 2000 came that was some **** good soap!

Check out these soaps made by the Armour Co and the names registered with the U.S. Patent Office in 1907!

View attachment 61067
That is so cool! How did you know these things? Well I guess you‘re a professor, after all! 😊
Now I need to get me some “ Frickel Nockem All” - my mom is visiting and I need to clean my shower.

That is so cool! How did you know these things? Well I guess you‘re a professor, after all! 😊
Now I need to get me some “ Frickel Nockem All” - my mom is visiting and I need to clean my shower.
I'll take some "Arbor Series Heliotrope." I have no idea what it is but I wanna find out. Also lol at the last entry on that page. 🤣

I'm not sure if lard slows down trace' Ive just discovered "Rancid Lard" will accelerate trace quickly, morph your micas & EO / FO.
So are you saying that if the lard is rancid it will do strange things?

My lard I used was straight out of a new thing of lard I bought only a few days before I made the soap but my colors did morph... definitely could have been the micas though...

So are you saying that if the lard is rancid it will do strange things?

My lard I used was straight out of a new thing of lard I bought only a few days before I made the soap but my colors did morph... definitely could have been the micas though...
If your lard is newly bought chances are it's not rancid. check the expiration date on the container. Micas can morph for many reasons & usually they do a little, also depending if your soap gelled or not.

Rancid Lard will play havoc on your soap as I described above. You know something is off as your SB cause it will accelerate turn to a thick gladness look and texture, It will change color's from the normal whiteish color to a yellowish color' before adding any micas or fo/ eo. yucky.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your experience with rancid lard @Peachy Clean Soap, must be frustrating. Hope it was a one time thing!

This isn`t related to Armour lard specifically, but lard in general. If this is too off topic, lemme know and I`ll delete in a heartbeat🙂

I have used lard in my soaps for many years. My family and friends and I love it so much, that I went for a high lard recipe in my CPRS (sorry if I keep repeating myself🤭)

I buy it in bulk, and have a dedicated freezer for my lard and coconut oil (I buy coconut in a big tub, cheaper that way, free ship etc)

I freeze everything straight after purchase. My lard comes in 500 gram packages, and the coconut I divide into what I use in each batch of soap so I don`t have to weigh it again.

If you purchase some quantities you can just freeze it if you can`t use it all up and you worry that it will spoil (it probably won`t, but at least you can rest assured it will be safe in the freezer).

Take it out the day before you need it and put it in the fridge (or some hours in room temps) then it will be easy to cut/scoop or whatever you need to do with it. (The best thing is to freeze in portions and not freeze/defrost the same thing over again.)

I started an experiment several years ago, ( noooo, really Bubble??? That`s not like you...🧐)
And decided to save a piece of lard in my freezer. It is now 3 1/2 years old. It is still as fresh as the day I got it.
I keep it in my freezer to see how long it takes for it to start smell piggy. It contains BHT and other antioxidants. I have never had dos in my lard soap so far, so the BHT etc really helps.

Along with a lower lye discount. And luck. And good genes (cough...🐷)

Latest posts

Back