Armour Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says it has citric acid, propyl gallate, and BHA in it to protect flavor.
Those protect flavour from rancidity! It is very kind from manufacturers that they are generously caring about soapmakers, who (ab)use their food products for toiletry, and have a keen interest in avoidance of rancidity (DOS) as well.
Lard is a mixed bag wrt. DOS. Commercial foodstuff producers know that, and add chelators (citric acid) and antioxidants (gallate, BHA) to the lard, like we soapmakers would do as well.

you know what they say. once you go lard........ ;). I use the Walmart brand as well. Have had no problems.
I don't actually, is it that you can't go back? I'm really excited to try it because we are thinking about trying to raise some pigs in the future and it would be great to be able to use the lard for soap making.

I don't actually, is it that you can't go back? I'm really excited to try it because we are thinking about trying to raise some pigs in the future and it would be great to be able to use the lard for soap making.
Yes, lard has a cult soap following. I'm a member. Nearly every soap I make has a LOT of lard- I use Armour too.

I heard today that lard slows down trace. Have you guys found this to be true? I am planning quite a few colors for my first lard soap. 🤞

I have a recipe with 65% lard, I soap cool and make a triple batch to fill 3 molds and unless I have a naughty fragrance, have 45 to 60 minutes of working time.

I'm looking to try lard in my soap recipe and I'm wondering, would it be okay to use Armour lard from Walmart? It says it has citric acid, propyl gallate, and BHA in it to protect flavor. Would this be a problem in the soap? Should I look for 100% lard?
It will work great for you. A lot of people these days forget the the Armour Meat Packing company also made soap! Dial soap to be specific, which was the best selling US soap from the early 1950's thru the mid to late 1960's Then that nasty smelling Irish Spring came out which was so strongly scented that any man who used it you could smell two furlongs away before arriving! That's when I switched to Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap. for several years. Then switched back to DIAL, etc., so on, and so forth. When LEVER 2000 came that was some **** good soap!

Check out these soaps made by the Armour Co and the names registered with the U.S. Patent Office in 1907!

2021-09-21_10-02-32.png

It will work great for you. A lot of people these days forget the the Armour Meat Packing company also made soap! Dial soap to be specific, which was the best selling US soap from the early 1950's thru the mid to late 1960's Then that nasty smelling Irish Spring came out which was so strongly scented that any man who used it you could smell two furlongs away before arriving! That's when I switched to Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap. for several years. Then switched back to DIAL, etc., so on, and so forth. When LEVER 2000 came that was some **** good soap!

Check out these soaps made by the Armour Co and the names registered with the U.S. Patent Office in 1907!

View attachment 61067

Interesting bit of history and a neat example of vertical integration.

Back