Arg!!!!! I hate EO and FO in CP Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When using FO's I sometimes do put them in the oils prior to adding the lye in IF I know they will behave. I also use several floral FO's that I know do not play well. Those go in after I have light trace and require more planning. Some only give 2 minutes to get into the mold after they are blended in to the batter so I know I will have to move quickly.

As has been stated some combinations of well behaved EO's and FO's will not play well together. There is also the opposite that does occur so note taking and keeping is VERY important. For me that has been a difficult lesson to learn and one that I am still improving on.

So much to learn and so little lye. And storage space. And I need more lard. and ooo look at that mold......

But I think I learned why it was happening. I was stirring the FO or EO with the stick blender.....

Now I just use the spatula, and it has not happen again.

Sounds like it's just a case of using some naughty, accelerating FOs or EOs. I have a small handful of those ornery types myself, and hand-stirring with a spatula instead of stick-blending them goes a long way in keeping them in line. :thumbup: Thankfully, the majority of my FOs are more well-behaved and play nice with my stick-blender.

I practice on three new batches I made. Granted I only make 1 pound loafs, because I am practicing.

I still make 1 lb. batches from time to time myself, even when I'm not experimenting or testing out a new FO for the first time. It helps me cut down on soap overload. :lol: My usual size batches are 2.8 lbs.

Always test in smaller batches.
I've thrown away so much soap I've never soaped again with more thatn 1/2 cup of batter when using new FO.

You can test for ricing, acceleration, discoloration, gel speed etc?
Of course you can't predict what will happen in 1-2kg batch, results may be different than in one small soap, but you can at least get an idea.

Oh yes, and never stick blend FOs in lol. I just whisk them in well.

Sometimes weird stuff will happen even when you know your FO, weather, humidity, quality of oils, they all play part in final product. I blame gremlins when something weird happens. :silent:
It's just a nature of this hobby, don't be harsh on yourself. :D

I had no idea FOs and EOs can cause so many problems! I have to admit I learned soaping watching youtube videos!

I noticed that many recipes for beginners do not contains fragrance. There is a tuber called soaping 101 that I see her use vegetables, watermelons, grass clippings, all sort of things. Very interesting. I imagine things like grass clippings would have a natural fragrance, the ending color was actually beautiful.

Latest posts

Back