Are you ready to sell your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've printed the top of this thread for consideration under quiet circumstances. When I first began making soap in '00 I just knew I would be the second Carol's Daughter, but of the soaping world. Umm, yeah, right. Moving ahead and on up to reality ...NOOOT!

Still I have a yearning for a small, part-time, home-based venture. This is something that has been on my mind for some time. I enjoy creating CP soaps. When I think of all the soap I give away I cringe and think, "Why not sell it?" I keep an eye on all that I can learn when it comes to the craft (the making of the actual soap). I learned early on that it is easier to sell soap in some states than others. One soaper told me she lives in the South, but incorporated in the North (Snow Birder, no doubt). Well, dang, who wants to go through all of that to sell soap to folk who are asking ya fer it? I would not be selling pharmaceuticals :roll: .

I'm going to keep reading and contemplating. Funny thing, those who are successful in life cease the reading at some point and commence to the doing.

I'm glad this thread is here. Thank you, OP.

Lyric said:
Still I have a yearning for a small, part-time, home-based venture. This is something that has been on my mind for some time. I enjoy creating CP soaps. When I think of all the soap I give away I cringe and think, "Why ...I'm going to keep reading and contemplating. Funny thing, those who are successful in life cease the reading at some point and commence to the doing.

I agree - the advice in the post is very heavily focused toward 'compliance' and 'regulations'. The idea of having someone come in to inspect your home, demand money for no consideration, ask for permission and dictate every step of your actions should obviously be a violation of what bit of personal and economic freedom might still exist. If you are doing it to make as much money as possible then it might be prudent to inquire on these such issues. But as a hobby project that may or may not return some of the money or value put into it, one would have no intention of observing some of these ridiculous measures. Also, the individual who is interested enough to be making the stuff is probably already going to know what precautions to take and what works or not when it comes to trading the items. Otherwise they are not going to be doing it for very long, or their product will not be desirable.

I've been making skincare for almost five years now and for almost as many years people have been encouraging me to sell it. The thing is it's easy to save money making your own skin care, even experimenting widely and using expensive ingredients. You look at your pot of body butter and think, hey that cost me $4 to make and the stores sell it for $25. That's a huge markup! But once you factor in the expenses of running a business it's thin margin indeed. This is why I have never sold my products. I love what I make and enjoy using it and it's superior quality compared to what's in the stores. But it's not enough to make a living from.

The difference between hobby and business is quite literally thousands. For what you will spend starting up your business you could have been hobby making and giving away for a year or two. If you want to sell to make ends meet then I'd suggest you do overtime at work instead, it's easier and pays better.

What a great post! Thanks so much for sharing! It's just what I needed to hear because as a new soaper - I can't wait to get selling! However, i know enough to know that I don't know what I need to know - yet. And my plan was to try to launch my little business in time for next Xmas... and only if I still want to after making decent amounts of soap - and as you so wisely point out - testing it!

So thanks. Everything you've said sounds sensible and well-informed. Really helpful for me to have read. Especially at this point in time! x

Great post! thank you for sharing, we learn a lot from all of your experiences.

Thank you to you all!!

I have been looking into selling my soap, and doing it as the state law requires. I joined Handmade Soap and Cosmetic Guild, they provide me with support and liability coverage. I have to register with the county, as sole proprietorship, register with the IRS to get a tax certificate, obtain business license, check with my town to see if I need a permit. I may have get an accountant if I cannot figure out the paperwork. Because my company is a sole proprietorship, I can only claim the name of my corporation in the county I file in. If I sell in another county i have to check for company name use then file in that county. Ugh! I had no idea. I figured ok, get liability coverage make and sell soap yeah happy. Now rethinking this. Did anyone else go through a company like Legal Zoom? I have read that they would do most of this for a flat fee.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I'm going through similar stuff now, but it isn't as hard as it seems. I registered as an LLC through the state, and the only other registration I need to do is with my county, mostly, as you said, for the "doing business as" aspect of it. Also had to register to pay state sales tax and a federal tax ID number. Again, somewhat time consuming, but not super hard. I would save money where you can.

I agree - the advice in the post is very heavily focused toward 'compliance' and 'regulations'. The idea of having someone come in to inspect your home, demand money for no consideration, ask for permission and dictate every step of your actions should obviously be a violation of what bit of personal and economic freedom might still exist. If you are doing it to make as much money as possible then it might be prudent to inquire on these such issues. But as a hobby project that may or may not return some of the money or value put into it, one would have no intention of observing some of these ridiculous measures. Also, the individual who is interested enough to be making the stuff is probably already going to know what precautions to take and what works or not when it comes to trading the items. Otherwise they are not going to be doing it for very long, or their product will not be desirable.

Possibly one of the most disturbing things I've read in a while.

If one is buying a product that can actually cause serious damage, one would want to know that it is actually safe and made correctly. If one is paying for a product, why should a hobbyist get away with not being inspected (what an invasion of privacy!) to make sure that their cat isn't peeing in the CO? What happens when the Sage EO that wasn't listed on the packaging from the hobbyist causes issues with a pregnant woman? Suddenly the need for people selling things like this to be properly controlled makes a little bit of sense, regardless of if it is spare time or full time.

The OP and a lot of the further comments in this thread are great - not directly applicable as I'm in Austria, but food for thought indeed.

My advice for anyone wanting to start a business is simple. Sit down right now and write a business plan. Do this before you start anything else. Why? A business plan will clarify everything. It will make you see what you really need to do and be willing to do to begin. What are you selling? Why are you selling it? Is there a market for it? What money do you need to start up? How much do you need to continue? And on and on.

Most people don't write a business plan but it can really make a difference. When you are done you will know where you want to go, and how to get there.

Hello there i just want to know what kind of preservative you added to your soAp to preserve its quality not only for years but also for the period if time..

Bar soap does not require a preservative. However, many add GSE or ROE to their oils when they open them to extend their longevity. Especially oils that have shorter shelf lives.

Hello there i just want to know what kind of preservative you added to your soAp to preserve its quality not only for years but also for the period if time..

it's better for you to start you own thread, as this thread is a completely different subject.

if you are talking about cp/hp soap, then you don't need a preservative. cp/hp soap has a high ph (9 and above), and is considered alkaline, not a suitable breeding ground for funky stuff.

you can, however, add rosemary oleoresin or vitamin E to your oils to prevent/prolong rancidity of the oils. those 2 are not considered a preservative, only antioxidants.

I purchased Insurance through my homeowners insurance. It was very reasonable for me to add on only $15 or so. Speaking of that, I need to get a copy of the paperwork to see what is all included. Right now I am just giving soaps away as gifts, but wanted to have my butt covered. I couldn't afford the Soapmakers Guild insurance at this point in time. You could talk to your insurance agent and see what they have to say. Happy Soaping to you! :)

Where Can I start to find liability insurance for my Bath and Body business?

The post you replied to probably won't be seen by the OP, the post was 2 yrs ago.

This is a great thread, though. Many new people on the forum need to read through it, just to make them aware of issues pertaining to selling soap. (Bump)

I agree, that's why the post is still here. I was just letting loveandlather know that, in case they were expecting a reply from the OP.

Back