Are you on Youtube?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armadalesoap

Reaction score
I'd love to know if any SoapMaking Forum members are making videos and posting them online. I've just started so I'd love to see what you're doing. Post your YouTube link here so I can follow you!

I am, but not for soap! I have a couple of random glass videos, most from before I figured out how to edit...

I can't speak well with electronics due to neurological issues so I don't vlog or stream. If I did either, it'd be more related to videogames anyway.

Some insurances will not cover you if you are doing youtube instruction videos. I was surprised when I checked w my insurance company.
That is very interesting. I never even gave it a thought.... going to look into it now, thanks! I only just got my CPSR back a few weeks ago so I'm only building up stocks at the moment. Was going to get the public liability just before my first craft fair in July.

I'm wondering if I should do a cost video? I know exactly what those ingredients cost and I know how much I used. I got 18 bars out of that.... so how much did it cost and how much should I charge? I am genuinelly this sad. I love spreadsheets and formulas and snooker. That is how sad I am.

I think most people want and expect to see the cut at the end of the video. Some YT artists also include recipes, and even pics of the soap calculator. Adding that, as well as the spreadsheets, would be a nice bonus. And it's not sad at all that you love that part - it's a nice bonus since that's a piece of soapmaking that sellers need to do, but many don't enjoy it. Showing them how to do that may ease some of their stress.

I love spreadsheets and formulas and snooker. That is how sad I am.
Smack Laugh.gif

I'm wondering if I should do a cost video? I know exactly what those ingredients cost and I know how much I used. I got 18 bars out of that.... so how much did it cost and how much should I charge?
Instead of posting here and there and all around the Forum, you can post just a link in the "What Soapy Thing..." thread to impress show others what you are up to.

You can also use the Photo Gallery as a log of every batch you make. Include the recipe as well as your comments about how you processed it for future reference. I only wish I had that available to me when I first started making soap in 2003. It's a great way to chronicle your progress in the Wonderful World of Soapmaking!!!

Some insurances will not cover you if you are doing youtube instruction videos. I was surprised when I checked w my insurance company.

That's a good point. I plan to put a disclaimer in my Description along the lines of: "I make these videos to share how I make my artisan soaps. These are not “How to” videos. If you would like to learn more about how to make soap, please reference the below resources......."

I'm wondering if I should do a cost video? I know exactly what those ingredients cost and I know how much I used. I got 18 bars out of that.... so how much did it cost and how much should I charge?

I have seen several. Just make sure you include how to calculate for adjust costs.

Does anybody know why insurance companies might be hesitant to give coverage over YouTube videos? .

.. Am I correct in assuming they dislike specific types of content like some or all parts of the manufacturing process? What are the specifics?

Does anybody know why insurance companies might be hesitant to give coverage over YouTube videos? .

.. Am I correct in assuming they dislike specific types of content like some or all parts of the manufacturing process? What are the specifics?

Liability. What happens if someone gets hurt from following your instructions? How often do you see soap makers on YouTube mixing their Lye Solution? In the 3 1/2 I've been watching soap making videos, it's very rare. And generally, with exception of the 'heat transfer method', most soap makers have their oils/butters already melted. Mostly was you see is adding colorants and scent, design/technique, pour in the mold and then 'the cut'.

@Vicki C 👏👏👏 Excellent video! Short and to the point without a lot of yada yada. :thumbs: Ingredients noted on screen. :thumbs: The cut could be edited for brevity, but at least it's included. :thumbs: Well done! Thanks for sharing!
View attachment 66535
You’re kind - It’s all too long… this took me forever, but as I say I’m still learning.

I love spreadsheets and formulas and snooker. That is how sad I am.
haha I live for spreadsheets. 🤓

Latest posts

Back