Are you LYING about the sugar??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rparrny

Reaction score
Okay, tried adding some sugar to my lye and instead of dissolving, it just created a crust on the top of the solution...which I ended up straining.
What did I do wrong?

Did you add the lye or sugar first? You should always dissolve your sugar/salt in the water before adding the lye.
That's it! I put it in the lye solution.
Now I know...thank you!

That's it! I put it in the lye solution.
Now I know...thank you!

I did the same but with powdered sugar and it was a mushy mess at the bottom, it was awful!! Always dissolve the salts/sugars and then add the lye..

Remember, that powdered sugar has cornstarch in it...just heads up in case you weren't aware :)

Don't worry, everyone does it wrong once - and then remembers :)
You can remind the next newbie :razz:

That's why I use simple syrup. It's just equal parts sugar & water, boiled together. I keep a quart jar of it in the fridge.

That's why I use simple syrup. It's just equal parts sugar & water, boiled together. I keep a quart jar of it in the fridge.

That is a good idea. I thought about something similar before but just passed it off. How do you measure the syrup, by the gram? If so what is the density?

Remember, that powdered sugar has cornstarch in it...just heads up in case you weren't aware :smile:
I read that after using it the first time, after which I made my own in a food processor (which tends to turn into a brick with a little moisture).

Hey I had done same thing two years ago, and today I forgot to add
SL to lye even it was prepared beside the bowl:(

I thought about something similar before but just passed it off. How do you measure the syrup, by the gram? If so what is the density?

I use 20 grams PPO. And, though many people "eyeball" the amounts when they make simple syrup, I weigh the sugar & water. It works really well for me.

Back