Are these the same or different?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servant4Christ

Reaction score
I'm looking at fragrance oils from WSP and BB that have identical names. Are they the same scent or two different companies' take on the same smell?
I'm looking at Kentish Rain, Fresh Bamboo, and Morrocan Mint. Also WSP Green Aloe and Clover vs BB Clover and Aloe.
Can anyone compare any of these? I feel like I've fallen down the rabbit hole and all I want is to find a good fragrance for a shampoo bar! 🤣

Generally what I have found (not with these specifically) is that often the fragrances are similar, yet different in some way. For example, Nurture and Fragrance Buddy both sell several Lush dupes. I've had the Karma dupe from both. They smell very similar, but the FB Karma sticks in CP soap more than the Nurture version does. Another example--there have been many discussions here about Dragon's Blood. Most vendors have a version. I have yet to find two alike.

Also, there are times when fragrances of the same name don't smell similar, especially when the name is generic, like Moroccan Mint. Vendors don't generally tell you where they source their fragrances, so it's difficult to tell if they are getting fragrances from the same supplier.

I wouldn't count on them being the same. One way to check is compare between the two. For example Moroccan Mint - Bramble Berry says it does not discolor and the IFRA max use rate in soap is 1.7%. WSP says it discolors to light yellow and the max use rate is 2.5%. I didn't check the others you mentioned, but would suspect they aren't exactly the same either.

I recently tested Sunshine Day from Scent Memory. My first thought was it would be so good in shampoo bars. But keep in mind that I also like the smell of marigolds, chrysanthemums and tomato leaves, so everyone might not like it.

Thank you! I did notice the descriptions were a bit different, but didn't think to look at the IFRA and discoloring to compare.
Since you mention discoloration, though, maybe you can answer this for me: If a fragrance is known to discolor in cold process soap, is that exclusive to lye based soaps or does it also discolor syndet shampoo and conditioner bars?

Thank you! I did notice the descriptions were a bit different, but didn't think to look at the IFRA and discoloring to compare.
Since you mention discoloration, though, maybe you can answer this for me: If a fragrance is known to discolor in cold process soap, is that exclusive to lye based soaps or does it also discolor syndet shampoo and conditioner bars?
I don’t know about syndet bars. I have had MP base discolor though. Sorry I’m really no help. Maybe someone else will know.

I feel like I've fallen down the rabbit hole and all I want is to find a good fragrance for a shampoo bar! 🤣
Welcome to the [tea] party Alice.

No...they don't smell the same; if they did, you could just buy all your scents in one place.

I received a trial size bottle of Dragon's Blood in a destash (that's when someone sells a bunch of their stuff)...LOVE IT! Wanted to buy more, but at the time I was still only purchasing MAYBE 4oz bottles, but the company only sells 1/2 oz or 8oz and larger. And then by the time I decided to go ahead and buy a larger bottle, they no longer carried it. So...okay...I'll just buy it from someone else and I did, but it wasn't the same. And it wasn't the same for the next five companies. I finally found a private source and bought four pounds!

And it's why we get so bummed out when a company discontinues a scent, because it can be difficult to find that scent again. And of course, they tend to do so without warning...or you do get a warning, but don't get paid for another two weeks and then it's all gone. In fact, it's why I picked up another credit card...sits in my desk drawer for those kind of 'emergencies'. LOL

My recommendation is just to purchase the smallest size possible of both, make a test batch with each, and then see which one you like the best.

Latest posts

Back