Are These Soda Ash or Lye Heavy?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for the sake of science, do you have room to store those for a month or so? If so, get them open to air and see what you have in a month. I get ash all the time, and badly, but it never burns my tongue after a proper cure. And the side of the bar never burns my tongue, just the ashy part.

I see potential DOS, but definitely badly mixed additives in some of them. I might keep those separate from the rest. If they start smelling rancid, toss.
I am with Susie, I would wait and see what happens with them. At times I get extreme thick ash and it never burns.

Do you have any fragrance preferences or need all highly fragranced. I ask because I have a box of lovely soaps that were going to go in my seconds bucket. I would send you some, but many have faded fo's but are lovely soap. They are full bars and I could send you a mixed box for cost of shipping. Saves me from shredding them.

Unfortunately, I'd be inclined to just ask for a refund. They gave in too quickly so I as a soapmaker would think they were well aware of what they were sending. Call me jaded. I never would have sent something that looked like that out in the first place regardless if they were misfits or whatever.

Ooh, great point!

Just for the sake of science, do you have room to store those for a month or so? If so, get them open to air and see what you have in a month. I get ash all the time, and badly, but it never burns my tongue after a proper cure. And the side of the bar never burns my tongue, just the ashy part.

I see potential DOS, but definitely badly mixed additives in some of them. I might keep those separate from the rest. If they start smelling rancid, toss.

I just wish I knew how old they were and what they were. Seller wouldn't really say. Just that they are still going to send me some bars of their best variety to make up for everything and basically restore her rep. So I will give them a chance but I'll be checking those too. She did mention she was freaking out about it though...and I would be too if I were her! So seems like a pretty genuine mistake.

I literally just reluctantly chucked the bag of them in the outside trash but decided to check in here again...glad I did. I rescued them and they are now laying out in the garage on a paper towel. While the smell isn't unpleasant, I was wondering why my room smelled weird this morning (I thought it was my tea from yesterday still sitting in the mug) then remembered I had the soaps in the closet still lol!

But anyway, before I chucked them, I took the worst bar, washed it off (my fingers burned a little while doing that I think....or could it all be in my head now? I dunno) broke it in half and zap tested the center. I still got a little tingle/burn. Albeit very mild compared to the outside white stuff but it was still there. So they're either not cured yet, or they are indeed lye heavy or now my brain is in lye heavy mode and it's all in my head. :\

I'll let them rest out there in the garage for a month or so and check them again. I have to dig through my soap stuff and see if I have any more PH paper to do a real test too.

If they are lye heavy, is there anything you can do with lye heavy soap? I think I read somewhere you can make laundry soap with it? I mean, there's no way to grind these up maybe add some additional oil and let it re-cure and it would be better right? Once lye heavy, always lye heavy?

Such a shame to chuck 11 full sized bars!

Oh! Also, can you guys tell me which ones you think have DOS and which are just the mix? Just so I can keep an eye on the DOS ones to see if they get any worse. Do you think I should cut out the DOS and it might help?

30116971303_8d0cfa262a_k.jpg

30715724876_71b3ee9e32_k.jpg

I am with Susie, I would wait and see what happens with them. At times I get extreme thick ash and it never burns.

Do you have any fragrance preferences or need all highly fragranced. I ask because I have a box of lovely soaps that were going to go in my seconds bucket. I would send you some, but many have faded fo's but are lovely soap. They are full bars and I could send you a mixed box for cost of shipping. Saves me from shredding them.

Wow! Really?! That would be awesome! I'll PM you to work out details. I'm not picky on scents (although I do have to say some of my favs are lavender and gardenia). I do not like melt and pour though. I only use made from scratch soaps. They're just for hubby and I to use in the shower. I don't buy store-bought soap anymore. Only handmade so I'm always picking up the odd bar here and there at craft fairs and such. I used to purchase from someone on Etsy who had such awesome and fragrant soap and the scent stayed on your skin for a little while after you showered..but she hasn't had anything in her shop for a long time now so I'm still on the hunt for a supplier so I don't have to rely on scavenging at craft fairs. lol

Last edited:
If they are lye heavy, they will get less lye heavy as time goes on by just sitting there. If you are going to develop DOS in a bar, you will know it fairly soon.

You are talking about rebatching (grinding and adding oil), which I hate to do, ever. Plus I think it is only beneficial if you KNOW you forgot X amount of a certain oil. Shooting in the dark is never wise.

To grind up a soap of unknown recipe for laundry use is asking for trouble, IMHO.

I would just wait a month, and see what you get. They may simply need a cure.

Last edited:
If they are lye heavy, they will get less lye heavy as time goes on by just sitting there. If you are going to develop DOS in a bar, you will know it fairly soon.

You are talking about rebatching (grinding and adding oil), which I hate to do, ever. Plus I think it is only beneficial if you KNOW you forgot X amount of a certain oil. Shooting in the dark is never wise.

To grind up a soap of unknown recipe for laundry use is asking for trouble, IMHO.

I would just wait a month, and see what you get. They may simply need a cure.

Thank you! Makes total sense!

Wow! Yesterday I got a package from the seller of an entire new set of soaps! This time I think 12 bars! I really didn't think they'd go through with it after they already refunded me and if so I was really only expecting 2 or 3 bars as samples (if that) in order to redeem themselves and show that not all their soap is like that. I did send money back to them so they weren't out too much for the boo-boo. But have to say I'm definitely impressed with the way this seller handled the whole thing and happy to report that this other batch of soap is perfectly fine. I don't know how, but I guess somehow something did get mixed up because these look, , smell and zap terst wayyyy better than those lye covered ones!

I like the idea of storing them for a month to see what you've got. But how about since the results of your zap test were so burning and potent (and wow how awful that happened to you), can you take a Qtip and lather up a couple chips from different areas of a worst case bar and a not so bad bar onto a plate and swab the soapy water on a ph test strip or use a ph meter - just for kicks and grinns. I'm just curious. maybe it's multiple things going on with those bars.

maybe sipping or swishing diluted apple cider vinegar might help your tongue feel better sooner.

I like the idea of storing them for a month to see what you've got. But how about since the results of your zap test were so burning and potent (and wow how awful that happened to you), can you take a Qtip and lather up a couple chips from different areas of a worst case bar and a not so bad bar onto a plate and swab the soapy water on a ph test strip or use a ph meter - just for kicks and grinns. I'm just curious. maybe it's multiple things going on with those bars.

maybe sipping or swishing diluted apple cider vinegar might help your tongue feel better sooner.

I still have to dig through all my old soap stuff to see if I have any more PH paper left (just haven't found the time) but yea, I did plan to do that eventually.

Hahah, funny you say that because that's exactly what I did with the ACV later in the day lol

Ok so I went through and sliced off all of the edges and gave them all a good rinse. I'll let them sit for a few more weeks then pH test. Still not lookin great tjough...I mean, what could this chalky pocket be? Could it be poorly mixed titanium dioxide or pigment? Or is it an actual lye pocket? Doesn't look crystal-ly just chalky..

IMG_20161116_081515.jpg

Is that chalky spot as large as it looks? I mean, is it truly that deep, and not just on the surface? Because if it is, I would probably cut off that chunk of soap and toss it. I might also be guilty of cutting the rest of those bars if they have those big/deep spots of whatever that is.

Is that chalky spot as large as it looks? I mean, is it truly that deep, and not just on the surface? Because if it is, I would probably cut off that chunk of soap and toss it. I might also be guilty of cutting the rest of those bars if they have those big/deep spots of whatever that is.

Yup, that's as big and deep as it looks. This is from the worst bar that I broke in half the other day. Some of them do have similar pockets but not that big. Do you think it's lye? Or just some sort of additive not mixed in?

Latest posts

Back