Are these good soap numbers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Faye!

I think you might find this one a little low on conditioning. Try to lower the cleansing oils some and at that amount to a more conditioning oil like Olive, Canola, soy or even Shea or cocoa butter.

You might want to add Castor at 5% or so to bring up the lathering properties. And remember that Olive is actually a hard oil no matter what the calc says.

I like cleansing at 16-17% or so and conditioning around 59-60. The higher the better. The bar I sent you to try has those properties. You don't need a high cleansing number to get clean. If you did - no one would use Castile (100% Olive) or Oil Cleansing methods (OCM) of any kind.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Marr.

I'll keep this in mind the next time I soap.
Made the above batch today with Lime Leaf & Lilly,
and that sucker got hard as cement before I could get it in the mold.

I'll give it a try again tomorrow.

Hi Faye -

I read somewhere that you can can keep ice water next toy our workstation in case your soap seizes. Add it to the soap to cool it down and make it pliable again I think is the reasoning behind that. I always forget to do it so I've never tried it. I will be soaping up a storm this morning but HOPEFULLY I won't have to test the theory. :)

I'll have to remember that one. This is the first time I have ever had one do that. Here's a picture. Looks like rebatch, but it's not.

It was suppose to be bright green swirls, but they turned pink. Never had that happen before either.
:evil:
100_2548.jpg

Man that looks great compared to when I first started soaping! :lol: My first few batches.. :oops: Look at is as another batch in the old learning belt. :wink:

Paul

Paul, I have been soaping since the end of Oct 2007, so I am a newbie, but I have never had a batch seize on me like this one did.

Almost didn't get it out of the pot.

Should I see how it cures or just rebatch it?

I used a small piece to wash my hands, and it lathers great.

PS. I ordered a planer/groover from you yesterday.

FSowers said:
Paul, I have been soaping since the end of Oct 2007, so I am a newbie, but I have never had a batch seize on me like this one did.

Almost didn't get it out of the pot.

Should I see how it cures or just rebatch it?

I used a small piece to wash my hands, and it lathers great.

PS. I ordered a planer/groover from you yesterday.

Shoot, it is going to be a great soap, may not be as pretty as you wanted, but I'd let it go and use it myself or give to friends as test subjects. It doesn't look that bad. I had a batch seize on me a few weeks ago, it happens sometimes!

I saw your order! :) I am making planers/bevelers today! I heed to make about 8 of them. :wink:

Paul

Is this a new recipe? If not - probably the FO. Did you water discount? If so - the next tie your try that FO - don't discount water as much or at all. Using full liquids has fixed a few FO's and EO's that like to seize on me.

It does look like rebatch, but thats not bad! Since I switched to RTCP I haven't had a single batch seize... Were you working at a higher temp?

I think it looks goods.. It may not be the way you planned it .. but it looks pretty cool to me. How does it smell?

If you can recreate it its not a theory...

I soap this way to high. I should have known better, but i was trying to see
if I could.

Guess not.

It smells great. Soaped with Lime Leaf & Lilly from BCN.

When I put it in the mold it looked like really hard lumpy mashed potatoes.
Had to mush it down really hard and pack it good.

Thanks for the comments and information.

Back