Are there solvent traces left in Rice Bran oil after extraction?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy Lou

Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on some Tallow and RBO from Soaper's Choice. Was reading about the fact of RBO having solvents used to extract? Is there any reason for concern? I am gathering that many here like it in soap and I want to use it to up my linoleics and in my reading so far on RBO here, I don't see anyone talking about concerns, or maybe I missed it.. Just wanna make sure.. Please advise, thanks!!!

Isn't the same to be said for pomace OO? But still people report from accelerating trace, and blame solvent residues for this …

Besides, I also have little concern regarding safety. If there is still solvent in it, it's too little to be smelled or impact SAP, just because the manufacturers want to lose as little as possible for mere recycling/refilling laziness. During curing it has lots of chances to evaporate, and when applied, the amounts are tiny anyway.
My main concern would be indeed accelerating trace due to the solvents (or whatever else impurities are in the RBO as well, such as FFAs, waxes, unsaponifiables…). Different qualities/degree of solvent removal could indeed explain why RBO is considered a “slow” oil for some, but accelerating for others. Unfortunately, you won't know in advance what team you are in, until you try it with your batch in question.

ETA: The issue of possible solvent residues is, in principle, common to all solvent-extracted oils, that is RBO, pomace OO, mango butter, soybean, corn, as well as lower grades of just about any oil extracted from the press cake of “virgin” pressings (palm, coconut, canola, sunflower…). It is by far not an issue of RBO in particular.

Last edited:
Isn't the same to be said for pomace OO? But still people report from accelerating trace, and blame solvent residues for this …

Besides, I also have little concern regarding safety. If there is still solvent in it, it's too little to be smelled or impact SAP, just because the manufacturers want to lose as little as possible for mere recycling/refilling laziness. During curing it has lots of chances to evaporate, and when applied, the amounts are tiny anyway.
My main concern would be indeed accelerating trace due to the solvents (or whatever else impurities are in the RBO as well, such as FFAs, waxes, unsaponifiables…). Different qualities/degree of solvent removal could indeed explain why RBO is considered a “slow” oil for some, but accelerating for others. Unfortunately, you won't know in advance what team you are in, until you try it with your batch in question.
And for that very reason (the solvent chemicals used) there are some soapers who will not use pomace.

I wouldn't be concerned about the solvents used for the extraction process. There additional processing following the extraction that should "render out" the solvent.
1626461654389.png

source: https://www.agrifarming.in/rice-bran-oil-extraction-solvent-process-flow-chart

My understanding is that all oils (cooking or otherwise) are either pure through "first press" or extracted by further pressing and the use of solvents, usually hexane. "First press" cooking oils have no solvents in them, all others are solvent extracted, i.e., refined. I came by this information through a thorough investigation of what type of oils I should be using for cooking. If you use refined oils, you are are using solvent extracted oils. If you think I am wrong, please tell me why. I am concerned about how much refined oil I use in cooking, but not for making soap. I would never use any virgin oils for soaping. They are much too expensive. Here is further explanation:
https://lipidlibrary.aocs.org/edible-oil-processing/solvent-extraction

Back