Are shower steamers a cosmetic or drug?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaylyn Valdez

Reaction score
What exactly are shower steamers? I know a cosmetic is used to enhance beauty or to smell good but shower steamers are mostly to be breathed in. What are they exactly assuming you don’t make any claims?

From the web: “The oils in a shower steamer are relaxing and great for soothing stress or minor aches or just to perk you up and make you feel good.”

My input, steamers would not be a drug simply because bath bombs are not considered a drug. Bath bombs & bath teas have the oils diffused in large amounts of water, where as a steamer would be more concentrated, one would think. I’ve never used a steamer, only bombs & teas.

What exactly are shower steamers? I know a cosmetic is used to enhance beauty or to smell good but shower steamers are mostly to be breathed in. What are they exactly assuming you don’t make any claims?

It really should depend on how you market them, but also it depends on how the public expects from shower steamers. If you market it as aromatherapy, it is a cosmetic. If you market it as something that prevents soap scum build-up in the shower, I think it's a cleaning product. If you market it as a treatment for sore muscles, it's a drug.

But what does the general public or your customer think a shower steamer is? When I first heard of them, I thought that they were more along the lines of a method by which the shower stall could be kept clean; naive? perhaps, but I had never heard of them before, so had no clue.

From the web: “The oils in a shower steamer are relaxing and great for soothing stress or minor aches or just to perk you up and make you feel good.”

My input, steamers would not be a drug simply because bath bombs are not considered a drug. Bath bombs & bath teas have the oils diffused in large amounts of water, where as a steamer would be more concentrated, one would think. I’ve never used a steamer, only bombs & teas.

Soothing stress and minor aches sounds like a drug to me. But Marie Gale suggests it is at least a cosmetic, in that the steam touches the body to produce effects on the body. Of course, when she said that, she may not have see the above quoted description. I am not really sure how long ago this Q&A took place: HSCG How-To Library - Q and A with HSCG Expert Marie Gale

HOWEVER, the FDA states unequivocally that if the intended use (of a product) is therapeutic (such as easing stress or minor aches) it is a drug. I specifically refer to this statement (on this page): "For example, claims that a product will relieve colic, ease pain, relax muscles, treat depression or anxiety, or help you sleep are drug claims."

It really should depend on how you market them, but also it depends on how the public expects from shower steamers. If you market it as aromatherapy, it is a cosmetic. If you market it as something that prevents soap scum build-up in the shower, I think it's a cleaning product. If you market it as a treatment for sore muscles, it's a drug.

But what does the general public or your customer think a shower steamer is? When I first heard of them, I thought that they were more along the lines of a method by which the shower stall could be kept clean; naive? perhaps, but I had never heard of them before, so had no clue.

Soothing stress and minor aches sounds like a drug to me. But Marie Gale suggests it is at least a cosmetic, in that the steam touches the body to produce effects on the body. Of course, when she said that, she may not have see the above quoted description. I am not really sure how long ago this Q&A took place: HSCG How-To Library - Q and A with HSCG Expert Marie Gale

HOWEVER, the FDA states unequivocally that if the intended use (of a product) is therapeutic (such as easing stress or minor aches) it is a drug. I specifically refer to this statement (on this page): "For example, claims that a product will relieve colic, ease pain, relax muscles, treat depression or anxiety, or help you sleep are drug claims."

I’m not sure what mine would be then. I’m not marketing it as anything really other than “shower steamers” but it is a bit of a weird line because you breathe them in, they don’t really go on your body and they don’t “beautify” so I’m not sure exactly what it is.

They may not go on the body, but the steam does. I don't know, I have not really had a desire to see what they feel like in use or to even make them. I've never seen one in a store, like bath bombs are everywhere now. But I don't look for them either, nor do I go into a lot of store like Lush.

But if you are selling them, people must ask you questions about what they are for or how to use them or whatever. I mean, why would someone buy this product? Whatever it is that you say in answer to the questions from customers should give you an idea of how you should label them. (cosmetic or drug) At minimum, cosmetic per Marie Gale. But if your verbal marketing (the answers you give when a customer asks a question about them) hints at drug-like properties, there's your answer as to how they should be labeled.

So if you say, "when you breathe in the steam created by warm water melting this shower steamer (with xx Essential Oil), it will relax you", it's a drug. If all you ever say is, "the steam helps moisturize & soften your skin" it's a cosmetic.

Latest posts

Back