Are Preservatives Needed?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyrim01

Reaction score
I'm wondering if liquid soaps need preserving, or are they fine and virtually never turn rancid?

My recipe is:
18oz. Coconut Oil
4oz. Palm Oil
10oz. Olive Oil
10oz. Canola (Rapeseed) Oil
8oz. Sweet Almond Oil
11.4oz. Potassium Hydroxide
33.3oz. Distilled Water

Then 1.6lbs soap paste is diluted with 35oz distilled water

And further added is:
0.4oz liquid silk
0.5oz sulfonated castor oil
2oz fragrance

And thickened with 160ml salt water

If liquid soap does turn rancid, how long before they turn rancid, and what natural preservatives would you recommend?

If not, great! :D

Should I assume that you used liquid silk as part of your dilution liquid and added salt as well? So far, in your case, I'm leaning on 'yes' to the preservative question but there is no such thing as a natural preservative outside of a few parabens. I'm hoping Susie and the others will chime in within a few hours to better help you with this.

Should I assume that you used liquid silk as part of your dilution liquid and added salt as well? So far, in your case, I'm leaning on 'yes' to the preservative question but there is no such thing as a natural preservative outside of a few parabens. I'm hoping Susie and the others will chime in within a few hours to better help you with this.

Saltwater was added after the soap had fully diluted and cooled

Why 'in my case' is a preservative needed? ....is it because of the liquid silk? :)

Yep, if my thinking is correct about the liquid silk. I could be wrong. :)

How does it lather?

Well, I think (I'll have to confirm) that the liquid silk is just tussah silk fibres dissolved in glycerin. So unless the glycerin can turn rancid??

It lathers fairly well. I think the saltwater has reduced it, but otherwise it would be a watery wash.

I always add preservative to my diluted liquid soap. When water is added to soap paste it creates an environment much more friendly to mold and bacteria. Better to be safe than sorry.

Well, I think (I'll have to confirm) that the liquid silk is just tussah silk fibres dissolved in glycerin. So unless the glycerin can turn rancid??

It lathers fairly well. I think the saltwater has reduced it, but otherwise it would be a watery wash.

I finally got to look it up. Liquid silk is exactly what I was thinking it is. It's silk amino acids and I know Bragg's is known for it.

If you are using it in your own home, with NONE given away, and you are prepared to throw it away at a moment's notice if it looks off, then you can skip the preservative.

I don't preserve mine, but I dilute small amounts at the time, and send the paste to my children to do the same. I sent liquid soap only to my sister-in-law, with strict instructions to refrigerate it. No one else gets liquid soap. Which means I can't send it in the swap, dagnabit!

Which means to get and use a liquid soap safe preservative. These folks here should be able to give suggestions.

^^ Except me!! I don't preserve either. On the [lus side, you did inspire me to try liquid silk in liquid soap one day. It'll be added to the lye.

^^ Except me!! I don't preserve either. On the [lus side, you did inspire me to try liquid silk in liquid soap one day. It'll be added to the lye.

I found on the SoapQueen blog that they recommend using liquid silk during the dilution stage (that's why I did it like that), but yeah, try it ...I hope it turns out well :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back