Are people sensitive here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert

Reaction score
Do you find participants here to be more sensitive (touchy, quick to take offense) than in other forums?

The question's on my mind because a couple of days ago in one thread I was said to be rude and to tone it down, and I can't figure out what that was about. And now in another thread that seemed equally innocuous someone reacted negatively to...I can't figure out what...and an administrator is asking the original poster to reconsider her post in view of what an experienced soapmaker (like the one who reacted negatively) might think, and I'm like...huh? :Kitten Love: Do people here tend to take personally questions or statements that aren't intrinsically personal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes what we write on the internet is misconstrued as offensive when the objective wasn't that in the first place. It's how it is sometimes. :shrug:

Robert,
You have responded to my posts in an intelligent way. I love the fact that you are bringing some science into the forum...I was almost thinking..."hey...I may need a tutor for O. Chem" I should ask Robert ( I attempting to get my Master's in Physician Assistant/Medical Science). to tutor!
It's a forum...and it brings with it sooo many personalities...Personalities that are difficult to judge in a written form...bottom line...don't be offended....keep doing what you are doing(offering phenomenal chemical advice) and ...whatever....It is what it is.

I don't think anyone here is any more sensitive then on other forums. I think its more that some of the more experienced members can come across as rude and know it all, assuming all new members are beginners and know nothing.
I know when I first posted, I got jumped on by multiple people and almost left. I really felt ganged up on and belittled. I now know everyone was just helping but I really do wish that some long time members would be more gentle with some of their answers.

I think sometimes people are from different areas with different backgrounds and what may seem like normal conversational tone or expression to one person is not always recognized as such by everyone - or sometimes anyone. And sometimes people take offense if they are told what they dont want to hear. And sometimes people dont really express what they mean to and are misunderstood. And of course we are all human, and we all suck sometimes. :)

Last edited:
I try to keep the approach, that if I don't like what someone says or how they approach a thread or question.......I just scrooooooolllll oooooon past......lol. Be the duck. Let it roll of your back.

And no, I don't think its anymore than anywhere else. I have witnessed many a spat on many a forum or fb page that was much ado about nothing.

I just see it this way; you can't actually hear or see the actions of the user typing (saying) what is said. It's all in the eye of the beholder and each person reads what is typed differently. Personally I try not to take anything typed too personally. For me IRL I judge what is being said by their actions. So it's extremely difficult to judge the meaning behind words when I can't see that. -Shrugs-

Oh this is tame IMO.. I used to own a cloth diaper store and was a frequent member on Diaperswappers. Holy Toledo.. that place was fireworks for the few years I was active on there. There is even a group that has tons of members called 'the drama of diaperswappers'. haha! But then, CD mama's are quite passionate it seems so guess it's to be expected.

I'm still new here but been on a lot and only had a few times where I've had to step back and walk away for a day.

Oh this is tame IMO.. I used to own a cloth diaper store and was a frequent member on Diaperswappers. Holy Toledo.. that place was fireworks for the few years I was active on there. There is even a group that has tons of members called 'the drama of diaperswappers'. haha! But then, CD mama's are quite passionate it seems so guess it's to be expected.

I'm still new here but been on a lot and only had a few times where I've had to step back and walk away for a day.

Oh god the DS drama, it was awful

hilarious, but awful

Anyway, Robert-this is definitely one of the more 'behave please' forums I personally belong to. While soap is chemistry (and chemistry is AWESOME), it's also an art, and let's be honest-artists are REALLY sensitive about their work :3

Anyway, Robert-this is definitely one of the more 'behave please' forums I personally belong to.

Sure. And this is and has always been a place where soap makers who do not yet know the validity of some statements, can come and learn without getting misinformed.

Sure. And this is and has always been a place where soap makers who do not yet know the validity of some statements, can come and learn without getting misinformed.

Absolutely :) That's why I joined in the first place xD

Absolutely :) That's why I joined in the first place xD

Same here. I frequented a forum where the main supplier gave out most of the information and other comments didn't really go beyond 'nice, amazing, beautiful' etc. as long as they knew you.
You might not always get the answers you want to, but for me that's part of the learning experience.

I think this is one of the nicer forums.

Another soap forum I frequent, you apparently are not allowed to ever ask a question that has ever in the history of the forum been asked before. You are to search the archives for any and all information you need, and then and only then, may you ask a question. If you breach this protocol, you will be the victim of a litany of snide remarks questioning your intelligence.

I am new here and based on what I have experienced everyone here is very nice and bubbly...<~~~See what I did there??? That was punny...lol Anyways, I have not noticed anyone get out of line or show any kind of hostility. I do know that there are times that I write something, mostly about a serious matter, and my wife kindly point out that it comes off as if I were flaming P***ed about it. So you have to choose your words carefully. My wife tells me quite a bit when dealing with her teenage kids "Its not what you say, but how you say it" There is so much truth in that. She agrees 9 times out of 10 that what I say or the message I am trying to bring across is right, but that my tone is what puts a different spin on it.

Hope in some way that may help you. But in regards to the people on this forum it seems they are softer than a liquid soap and not a single one of them as hard as castile. So I think you will be OK. None of them have consumed me like lye yet. Ok im done with my lame jokes. :p

Robert,
I dont know you or your personality, but I recall reading the post where you were told to tone it down and stop being rude. I remember thinking what in the heck is this other person talking about. I didnt read that post of yours as rude. It was a bit odd.

I think this is one of the nicer forums.

Another soap forum I frequent, you apparently are not allowed to ever ask a question that has ever in the history of the forum been asked before. You are to search the archives for any and all information you need, and then and only then, may you ask a question. If you breach this protocol, you will be the victim of a litany of snide remarks questioning your intelligence.

haha... I know which forum you're talking about....

having an optimistic attitude and a thick hide has done me well over the years...this place is tame compared to some of the rough-and-tumble forums...IMO, it's the left brain/right brain thing going on...someone might have had a bad day and gotten a little sensitive when you got all "scientific-y" on them...I believe that they might have mistaken it for a lecture, and you were being "superior." unfortunately this will happen occasionally because all we can do is read what is typed...we can't hear a person's gentle inflections or tone of voice, and we can't see their expressions...like a crooked grin or a raised eyebrow...KWIM?

:grin: meanwhile, the world keeps turning, the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning and life will go on!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back