Are my Salt Bars Ok?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angemarie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

After a very long time (due to health) I have finally been able to get back into making soap again :p

I had a big soaping day last week and made 4 batches!!! one of my batches was a salt bar (which I have never made before) I was really happy with how they have turned out BUT I have just noticed that they are sweating and wanted to know if this is normal? They are 5 days old, My superfat was 15% and the salt I used was sea salt which is free from iodine and free flow agents. Also no zap.

My recipe was:
85% Coconut Oil
10% Avocado Oil
5 % Castor Oil
50/50 Coconut water/Coconut milk
25% Salt

Also I have a question about cows cream which I used in a batch for the first time, my recipe called for 304gm of liquid so I dissolved the lye in 200gm of water and added 104gm of cream at trace, with cows cream being so rich is there a maximum amount you can add or can you use it up to 100% of your liquids? the reason I ask is the cows cream seems a little over bearing in the bars almost like too rich, they are only 5 days old so maybe the cream smell could settle a bit?

Thanks very much for any advice!:p

Is it humid where you live? High humidity can make your salt bars sweat, so can using dead sea salts. If possible, run a fan in the room the bars are in, it will help keep them dry.

The weird smell from the cream will fade with time. I'm not sure what the max recommend amount it, I prefer coconut milk over cow milk.

Is it humid where you live? High humidity can make your salt bars sweat, so can using dead sea salts. If possible, run a fan in the room the bars are in, it will help keep them dry.

The weird smell from the cream will fade with time. I'm not sure what the max recommend amount it, I prefer coconut milk over cow milk.

Hi, thanks so much for your reply...no it's not humid we have just started winter here so it's cool, I did just read it could be from using sea salt? I will try the fan to see if that helps....thank you!

Thanks for info re cream, yes I usually use coconut but thought I would give the cow cream a go, so far think I prefer the coconut :)

Only dead sea salt causes sweating, regular sea salt is fine. Salt bar just sweat sometimes but they should stop once you get the fan going.

Yay thanks so much for that, they turned out really fantastic so am pleased to hear they should be good :p

Your recipe is very close to mine. They should be fine. I agree with putting a fan on them for a bit. I use half and half as well as buttermilk and generally use 2:1 water/lye then the remainder milk. Works great.

Back