Are my goggles safe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexanderte

Reaction score
Or, maybe I should rephrase the question to not feel anyone feel responsible for my security by asking: would you use these goggles for soap making?

They are by no doubt 100 times better than the first I bought, which resembles normal glasses. But I do worry about lye splashing and getting into the ventilation holes.

Would you use these? Do you have a specific brand/pair of goggles that you would recommend?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Those should be fine. I would be more worried about batter getting into the holes if:

A: The holes were larger. You are not going to splash the whole batch into your face, after all.

B: The holes were located closer to the eye. This should give you enough ventilation to prevent fogging, without risking your eyes.

If it were me, I would conduct this test/experiment: put the goggles on and deliberately splash water up towards your eyes (maybe pour some water in a shallow bowl and stick-blend it so that it splashes up). If any water is able to make it through the vent-holes and into you eyes, then I would look at getting a pair with a better design.

The goggles that I use are actually designed to be worn when cutting onions so that one's eyes won't tear up, and that's why I originally bought them (for which they work great, by the way), but then I found out they also work wonderfully as soaping goggles. It wasn't long after I discovered how well they worked as soaping goggles that I noticed Brambleberry started selling them as soaping goggles. :lol: Anyway, they sit very comfortably flush on my face around the eyes and have never let let any slashes in: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014SQU1A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the ventilation holes are on the bottom of the goggles, not on the top. It would take an unusual spray of liquid coming from well below your face to push liquid through those holes.

Or, maybe I should rephrase the question to not feel anyone feel responsible for my security by asking: would you use these goggles for soap making?

They are by no doubt 100 times better than the first I bought, which resembles normal glasses. But I do worry about lye splashing and getting into the ventilation holes.

Would you use these? Do you have a specific brand/pair of goggles that you would recommend?

Yes, that is a huge improvement. As you suspected, those are not chemical splash goggles. Splash goggles are either non-vented designs or indirectly vented (the vents are covered so there is no direct path for chemicals to splash into your eyes). I am not suggesting you can't use these for soaping, but those are all the facts in answer to your question.

Back