Are my Bars to Big?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystalbee

Reaction score
Hey Soapers,
I need your feedback regarding my bars that I just cut. My dad recently made me some new soap molds that should have held 5lbs of soap but he made them 1 inch taller:oops:.
I'm all for a big bar of bubbly soap but is this too much? These bars weight roughly 7oz now and should be 6.5oz after cure.
P.s Please excuse the lines on the bottom corner, my cheese cutter barely did the job.
P.s.s I know the piping makes them bigger but I really really like doing it.

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0198-1.JPG

It does depend a lot on what people like but I would find those too large, even though I have large hands. I like to be able to roll a bar around and it looks like that would be difficult to do. That said, this is just an individual opinion. Just as IL said, you can pour to whatever level you like to get your bars the size you want, and still do piping. As long as you like the width of the mold, the height of the bar is variable, to your wishes which is really nice.

Beautiful soap, by the way!

they are very pretty but will be cumbersome to handle in the shower. I did the same thing my hands could not hold it. my son on the other hand he is 16 @ 6ft 8 can hold them with them slipping out of his hands

The advantage to a big and tall mold is that you can change dimensions and not have to change molds. So you need to measure your l x w x d and figure the amount of oils you need

First of all, your soap is lovely. As to the size, I love a big, chunky bar, I tend to like them thicker rather than taller, wider. I have small hands, and I like to be able to roll the bar in my hands as I wash. But like anything else, soap size preference is an individual thing. You might also want to consider if it will fit in a soap dish.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I did find them really big, but my family(aka test subjects) didn't object :think: Next time I will just decrease the recipe accordingly so they are a bit more manageable!

My own bars are between 6-7 ounces so I don't think yours are too big. You can suggest the people who buy them (or give them to) to simply cut it in half. Your bars as a whole are attractive and adorable :D

My own bars are between 6-7 ounces so I don't think yours are too big. You can suggest the people who buy them (or give them to) to simply cut it in half. Your bars as a whole are attractive and adorable :D

I agree. I like my bars big and chunky. But I have advised my very few (I'm a newby) recipients :read testers: that they can cut chunks off of the bars if they prefer smaller pieces of soap. But I do not sell *yet*.

Back