Are Goat Milk Soaps Prone To Ash?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2Soap

Reaction score
Today I made a batch of soap, trying to improve on a recipe. I did 50% water and 50% condensed goat milk. I added the goat milk into the oils and stick blended until they were combined.

I just had a peek at my soaps and they are forming ash on the tops. This is the 2nd time I've made goat milk soap and both times they have formed ash. Are goat milk soaps more prone to ash?

I soaped at 90 degrees and my water was set at 38% with a 5%SF. Any help would really be great!

I don't think GM soaps are anymore prone to ash than others, I find its the luck of the draw - sometimes it happens other times it doesn't. I can't help you about the condensed GM as we don't have that here.

Was the GM frozen? Do you gel or not ?

Did you dilute your GM out of curiosity? I too have a terrible time with ash. I'm going to start using a water discount to see if it helps not only my ash, but my mottling. It's a steep learning curve, right? However, if we could definitively come up with a cure for ash, we'd be rich...well, not rich, but notorious in the soaping world :) any ideas? Happy soaping! Haven't seen any of your recent soaps?

I used room temperature condensed goat milk and put it directly into the oils -vs- freezing it and using it in the lye water. My recipe was a 50/50 mix of water and condensed GM. Cactuslily, I agree with your idea to begin using a water discount. As for gelling...that's not something I've tried to do. If it happens - it happens. I haven't decided whether or not I want to gel or not.

I think my next batch I'm going to try putting the mixture in the freezer for 30 minutes and then in the fridge overnight. Plus, instead of a 38% water in the soap calc, I'll probably try something closer to 33% and see how that works out.

Here's what these looked like in the mold (pre-ash)

IMG_0338_zps3thfa0uj.jpg

I used rose kaolin clay which is why they are that deep pink color. Interestingly, they changed to a dusty rose which I really like.

**side note: when mods move posts, can you please let people know? I had a ---- of a time finding this again **

I use GM quite frequently and haven't had much of an issue with ash at all. Ash seems to be random. I made shave soap last weekend and for the first time got ash on my shave soap. The only other time I seem to get ash is with individual molds that aren't gelled. I too wish there was a definitive answer and cure for it.

All soap is prone to soap ash... From what I can figure its more related to the air than the soap. When I soap in my workshop in the city I almost always have soap ash. But when I do it at the workshop in the mountains ( we have a ranch really high up and secluded ) I almost never have ash. Its the CO2 in the air reacting with lye.

But in this case, did it gel or not? I think in general that ungelled can be more prone to ash at times.

Now there is a vague stance...................

In this case it did look like it possibly gelled. Unfortunately, without cutting open so I am unable to tell. I am confused about your last comment… "No there now theres a vague stance". What did you mean by that?

i am confused about your last comment… "no there now theres a vague stance". What did you mean by that?

teg?

I use goat milk or coconut milk in almost every batch. I normally prevent gel and have only gotten ash a few times... when my soap got hotter then I intended and wasn't covered. Now, I secure saran wrap over the top of my mold. For tops that extend past the top of my mold, I try to strategically place toothpicks to tent the saran wrap. So far, that's working for me.

I think propencity towards ash has so many factors that it's difficult to give a rememdy that will work across the board. I suspect it's a combination of recipe, soaping temperature, water discount, air flow around the soap top, air temperature and humidity.

**side note: when mods move posts, can you please let people know? I had a ---- of a time finding this again **

I was the one who moved this post to the section that I thought it should be in to get the most replies to your question.

As for informing people when we move them, if we were to do that we would be in here for hours as people put posts in the wrong section ALL the time. Personally, I spend enough time in here doing this anyway in a voluntary position (we don't get paid for our time)as do the other Modmins and I haven't got time to be sending PM's to all people that post in the wrong section. So that won't be happening. I also just wasted 1/2 hr deleting spam (which has to be done),when I could have been watching my favourite TV show.

"...I think in general that ungelled can be more prone to ash at times..."
"...Now there is a vague stance........"

Effy is poking fun at himself. Look at his first sentence and count the number of times he uses "weasel words". I took it that he was being lighthearted and humorous.

"...I think in general that ungelled can be more prone to ash at times..."
"...Now there is a vague stance........"

Effy is poking fun at himself. Look at his first sentence and count the number of times he uses "weasel words". I took it that he was being lighthearted and humorous.

Thank you, DeeAnna - it was a self depreciating comment. With ash, I don't think too we can ever be too sure about causes.

Julie, if I can't find a thread I have replied to, I find it easiest to click on the "my replies" link at the top of the page, I think that is quickest way.

Mods: I am enormously grateful for all the work you do to make this place what it is. Not just the behinds the scenes stuff, which you do without any of the rest of us thinking about, but all the good advice and patient input (sometimes over and over again.) Not to mention the self-deprecating humor! I can count on Irish Lass making me smile daily. Sometimes I really need those smiles.

Last edited:
I normally get ash when I don't gel, but rarely when I do gel (whether milk soaps or non-milk soaps). Those times that I do get ash with my gelled soaps, it seems to always coincide with having had uncovered and unmolded too soon.

Julie, if I can't find a thread I have replied to, I find it easiest to click on the "my replies" link at the top of the page, I think that is quickest way.

Another way (which [gasp!] to my utter shame and embarrassment as a mod I did not know about until just last night :oops:) is to click on the "My Threads" link at the top of the page. It conveniently lists all the threads that one has started and will show you where they are and take you right to them.

Mods: I am enormously grateful for all the work you do to make this place what it is. Not just the behinds the scenes stuff, which you do without any of the rest of us thinking about, but all the good advice and patient input (sometimes over and over again.) Not to mention the self-deprecating humor! I can count on Irish Lass making me smile daily. Sometimes I really need those smiles.

Thank you not_ally. You made my day....yet again. :smile:

IrishLass :)

Click on "My Account" and then click on "Edit Forum Options" from the drop down menu. Scroll down to the "Default Thread Subscription Mode", change the mode to either instant, daily or weekly notification (whatever your preference) and click "Submit" at the bottom of the page. Then you will receive an email notification with a link which will take you directly to the topic. No more problem finding a thread.

Holy moly...is my face red....I never noticed this before. I apologize to the mods!!! I really do appreciate everything that you guys do, sorry for having a menopausal moment with you.

Latest posts

Back