Are all glycerines created equal?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy_kiwi

Reaction score
I use glycerine in a number of my products, and have thus far been getting coconut-oil-based glycerine from the same suppliers as the rest of my B&B ingredients. While not super-expensive, it's not exactly cheap either. Then today, I found jars of glycerine in the supermarket baking aisle. This stuff is corn-based, and includes a preservative (223 - Sodium bisulfite).
It's sold by the gram, whereas I have been buying it by the ml, so I still have to work out if it's any cheaper (although at first glance it seems to be), but I'm wondering if it is ok to use in place of the glycerine I have been using. Anybody able to weigh in?
Obviously I would have to include the preservative in the list of ingredients...I was more curious about whether there is any practical difference in glycerine that is derived from coconut oil vs corn. I suspect not, as the chemical makeup should be the same, but thought I'd see if wiser heads than mine could confirm or deny.

TIA
Matt

Thank you, I suspected as much, but just felt the need of some reassurance :)
I'll go ahead and try some...I'll let you know if it all goes horribly wrong lol

Latest posts

Back