Aquarium tubing molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancingtigersoap

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using aquarium/vinyl tubing as a mold? I want to put in some circle embeds in a mold and I don't want any flat spots. They're going to represent moons at different distances from a planet, so I would like to use different sizes and don't really want to use a column mold because I think they're too large to use in my design.

Has anyone tried this?

Would it be smarter to just use various sizes of round piping tips instead?

Hi. Clear tubing, usually comes in rolls. The material has a memory. What ever size you use.
Will try and curve back. Also being flexible. You imbeds will crack. I would use the rigid type.
Distant planets? You'll have to post pics. Good luck.

Having tried to get various types of gelled materials out of tubing I would say - you're better off making the embeds using soap dough rolled out by hand, I can't imagine that soap in any reasonable progressed stage will come out in a piece, although I'm open to being proved wrong...

I like the idea of round piping tips to pipe out soap frosting. I think it would give a similar result to extruded (or rolled) soap dough, but perhaps more uniform in thickness if you have a steady piping hand (says the person who can't roll, cut, draw, pipe, or otherwise create any straight or uniform product from any process with any tools). 😁

You can use small PVC pipes to create round molds, but as @Tara_H noted, it can be tough to get the soap out. The freezer trick works well for the larger diameter PVC pipes, but I don't find it as effective with the small ones. I've lined them or greased them, which is a bit tedious. The lining does tend to create some flat spots, as it is almost impossible to get the paper to lie completely flat inside the tube. Greasing is doable if you use a greased rag over a dowel inside the pipe.

Have you looked into column molds? You should be able to find round in different sizes and the molds come apart for easy unmolding.

The only other thing I could think of would be silicone straws. Maybe if you froze them once the soap was set up, you could squeeze it out.

It might be helpful if you have a sketched concept to share with us. I find it easier when figuring out how to make more complicated designs if I start with how I want it to look in the end, and deconstruct each piece of the puzzle until I can create a plan to each part. (And then the soap gods laughed)

Late reply to everyone, but I opted out of doing so many moons to cut down on the clutter. What I ended up with is the photo attached - a saffron spice scented soap called Spice Melange, inspired by Dune.

Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

• PXL_20210930_010848859.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210930_010848859.MP.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 8
Late reply to everyone, but I opted out of doing so many moons to cut down on the clutter. What I ended up with is the photo attached - a saffron spice scented soap called Spice Melange, inspired by Dune.

Thank you all for your help!

Looks like you found a window when the door was jammed closed. Impressive result.

Latest posts

Back