April SMF Soap Challenge, Hanger Swirl Petra Style

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx KristaY! That was my assumption, about beginners seeing as well.
on the tops, short answer is yes. So long as the embeds dont sink down and disrupt the wall pours, then yes on any top decorating albeit stamps, swirls, mounded tall, or embeds.

Lionprincess, this is a fun challenge! I had a free day yesterday and prepared so I could make it today. Of course my biggest challenge is to follow rules! But I'm determined, usually I just run amok. I was so relieved when I read the top can be anything as long as we don't mess up the swirl. I've had to write it down step by step to keep me on track :) I sure don't enter for competition it's just so much fun to learn something new. Maybe this will help me with following directions. Which would be great. Wonderful tutorials you left nothing out.

My first attempt actually worked really well :) which definitely surprised me! I am still new to this and this was my first ever hanger swirl of any kind. And although everything thickened up a bit more than I would have liked I am really stoked with the end result :) thank you lionprincess00 for the awesome video!!

My first attempt is in the mold.

I can see why lavender EO is so popular. That stuff stayed at emulsion forever.

It was still pretty thin when I started. the base had TO, so of course it thickened up, but my mica was almost like water. I also had too much color... But I did the swirls so we will see.

But it was really fun!

You two sound like it went well :) , what could go wrong for me did. It's a total bust. But I'm going to try again.

Last edited:
In all the excitement of making this soap I forgot to add my FO :sick: I usually add it to my oils, so not sure how I forgot! I also had a total mind numbing blank on the shape of the swirl, so winged it. I love the look of the top so far! Can't wait to cut it! Next time I'll draw a picture of the swirl to have next to the mould. On the plus side I now know that I have a slow moving recipe that was beautiful to work with :)

I've been puzzling over why the mold is tilted when pouring ... then it dawned on me. This makes the colored pattern thicker on one side. When you draw the hanger from side to side at the end, the hanger goes through the thicker part, but doesn't go through the thinner part (at least not the way LP did it). That makes the pattern different across the bar and adds interest.

Hmmmm. <...do I wanna enter or not...>

LP ... I really, really appreciate your intro video where you just explain the whys and how-to for this method -- that was so very helpful. Thank you. Well done ... bravo!!!!

First fiasco is in the mold. My try at this was to, well, try it and also to see if my hanger tool will work for this. I've looked high and low and there is not a wire hanger to be found in this house - maybe a Mommy Dearest influence. I haven't soaped since early March. Clearly, I am out of practice. Batter behaved beautifully, colors are good, EOs added. Hanger tool marked for half way pull back. I think the top over pour may have broken through, but I'm not sure. Lots of time to decorate the top. All done...ready to wrap up the mold and what do I see? My hanger tool sitting there - clean as a whistle. I can't believe I forgot to do the swirl!! :oops: What's a girl to do? Stick it in and swirl because - why not. Since the tool goes in and out at the edge, the top wasn't tooooo messed up. I really can't wait to see what I end up with. As so many have said before, at least it smells good!

So, if any of you try this and can't believe you forgot something, take heart. I bet you remembered to swirl it. That is, after all, the point of this challenge.

So I watched the above video and tried the challenge last night and today I watched Petra's video and she does the hanger differently than I thought because you used a square mold. Just wanted to say in case any newbies don't know.

http://youtu.be/4eWFQiOSRkU

So I watched the above video and tried the challenge last night and today I watched Petra's video and she does the hanger differently than I thought because you used a square mold. Just wanted to say in case any newbies don't know.

http://youtu.be/4eWFQiOSRkU

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Do you mean it's different than what I did, or the square mold made it seem a little distorted? Dense girl today lol, sorry!

Lol sorry. My mold is a rectangle and it did it going from one short end to the other instead of the long end to kind end if that makes sense.

I've posted my first attempt for advice if that's ok? Please ignore the poor picture and the fact I cut while still a bit soft (I just couldn't wait any longer):oops: Following my blank on the swirl, I did 4 rough circles, then lifted the hanger halfway and cut through the batter from back to front (twice due my extended senior moment!).

However there doesn't appear to be enough black batter on the bottom? I tilted the soap on 3 thin chopping boards which were just under 2cm (total) and poured the initial batter until it reached the other side of the mould. Do you think I should have poured more base soap or tilted more?

It's such a pity I forgot the fragrance! Not sure what I will do with this batch now. Maybe embeds and soap balls?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what I will do with this batch now. Maybe embeds and soap balls?

Rowan, it is so pretty. Maybe you know someone who likes unscented soap? Or a place to donate, because someone would be thrilled to have it. I understand about having plenty of pretty, smell good soap around and wanting to use that. As to advice on the pour and swirl, sorry, I've got nothing. My first failure is still in the mold trying to decide if it should gel or not.

Lol sorry. My mold is a rectangle and it did it going from one short end to the other instead of the long end to kind end if that makes sense.

Yes, and I worried about that in my instructional! I was looking down at the mold, so think of it as long end side to side in front of me. If I had the green mold in my first video in front of me, hypothetically, the long ends would be to my left and right.

Thanks for clarifying and mentioning it!

Rowan, that's one exquisite soap. Those colors are amazing. I only hope that when I get to making mine it's half as good as yours!
A lot of people, one of my sisters-in-law, among them, can't use soap with any scents.

I've posted my first attempt for advice if that's ok? Please ignore the poor picture and the fact I cut while still a bit soft (I just couldn't wait any longer):oops: Following my blank on the swirl, I did 4 rough circles, then lifted the hanger halfway and cut through the batter from back to front (twice due my extended senior moment!).

However there doesn't appear to be enough black batter on the bottom? I tilted the soap on 3 thin chopping boards which were just under 2cm (total) and poured the initial batter until it reached the other side of the mould. Do you think I should have poured more base soap or tilted more?

It's such a pity I forgot the fragrance! Not sure what I will do with this batch now. Maybe embeds and soap balls?

Back