April SMF Soap Challenge, Hanger Swirl Petra Style

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Newbie- Oooooo, this will be harder than it looks. I know because I've tried it with not so stellar results.
2. Dixiedragon (gulp)
3. Snappyllama (if only mine can come out half as pretty as the example, I'll be one pleased petunia)
4. Saponista- I can't wait to have a go at this!
5. Misschief - now to find the time
6. dibbles - I heart this
7. TeresaT - I am a huge Petra fan. She is stellar!!
8. Songwind - I just got some gear ties. Let's do this!
9. LisaAnne Thanks for letting me play
10. Crispysoap - let the good times soap
11. KCHaystack - I was going to do this anyway
12. BlackDog - Fine. But I've got to get a 1 lb mold first; I sense a lot of fugly soaps in my future.
13. Judiraz- Maybe the #13 will change my luck!

1. Newbie- Oooooo, this will be harder than it looks. I know because I've tried it with not so stellar results.
2. Dixiedragon (gulp)
3. Snappyllama (if only mine can come out half as pretty as the example, I'll be one pleased petunia)
12. BlackDog - Fine. But I've got to get a 1 lb mold first; I sense a lot of fugly soaps in my future.
14. doriettefarm - I've been wanting to try this since LP's black & white soap was so wispy and gorgeous!

1.Newbie- Oooooo, this will be harder than it looks. I know because I've tried it with not so stellar results.

2. Dixiedragon (gulp)

14. doriettefarm - I've been wanting to try this since LP's black & white soap was so wispy and gorgeous!
15. GalaxyMLP- I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before. It's gorgeous! I can't wait to try it.

Newbie- Oooooo, this will be harder than it looks. I know because I've tried it with not so stellar results.

2. Dixiedragon (gulp)

15. GalaxyMLP- I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before. It's gorgeous! I can't wait to try it.

16 Lisajudy2009. Can't wait to try!

1.Newbie- Oooooo, this will be harder than it looks. I know because I've tried it with not so stellar results.

2. Dixiedragon (gulp)

16. Karenbeth - absolutely love this swirl

Excuse me, I just couldn't help jumping in to say ... lionprincess, I just LOVE those jumper-sleeve-arm-protector things! I would never have thought of it ... now I'm looking for something to chop up ... :shock:

2. Dixiedragon (gulp)

17. Penelopejane - I will try despite seeing the dreaded phrase "easy with the right trace".
18. Lisajudy2009. Can't wait to try!

Last edited:

2. Dixiedragon (gulp)

17. Penelopejane - I will try despite seeing the dreaded phrase "easy with the right trace".

19. topofmurrayhill - What could go wrong?

Thank you penelopejane for adding lisajudy back!
Thx suzieoz! When I began soaping, it was summer. No matter if air conditioning was on, I'd still heat up like a furnace! I hated long sleeves and tried the socks. They worked great. To be honest I soap in short sleeves typically now (unless it's cold). That way a soap splatter can be felt at the itching stage and wiped quickly before it burns. Being an instructional video, however, I felt it necessary to take all basic precautions.

2. Dixiedragon (gulp)

20. Sonya-m - so looking forward to trying this technique!!

2. Dixiedragon (gulp)
21. Amd

LP, I have to congratulate you on one of the best tutorials for a swirl technique I've come across. I tried this last night and made a mistake but your instructions were perfect. Telling us exactly how far to fill the base and exactly when to stop pouring the color lines is the kind of detail that is critical for being able to do this swirl and it seems very rare that this is laid out. I would be flailing about trying to get this without those landmarks to go by. Well done!

Thank you newbie! It was important to me to make sure all details, ALL, I saw I relayed to everyone for the challenge. As you are more than aware, as well as sonya, Saponista, and galaxy, our challenges hold a deeper meaning than just to show off our awesome soap and capabilities. It's a tutorial, geared for people wanting to learn something new. I really wanted to show that with this challenge. I looked and watched as best I could. Her videos are silent, so it takes keen observation. I really wanted to put my observation into words for everybody. I think it is incredibly important when introducing a technique, to divulge as much information as possible. Especially since I don't sell, I have no secrets, as of yet!

Last edited:
2. Dixiedragon (gulp)
21. Amd
22. Rowan - thankyou LP for making this seem manageable. Can't wait to try it.

I agree with what newbie said. And add, your video may demystify but makes it achievable and I think that's one way these challenges are different from others. We are truly there to learn together as well as inspire.

I saw a quote the other day that basically said no art starts from nothing, it all builds on something else we've seen or experienced. I am new to art - it came to me with soaping - but I see the truth in that, for all but the very rare artist anyway.

I may sit this out because I am not so attracted to this design and have lots of soap right now. But I'm not sure because I see some other directions from it. So either way, thanks, I appreciate your time, creativity and willingness to share.

2. Dixiedragon (gulp)
21. Amd
23. KristaY - I'm going to give it a swirl!

2. Dixiedragon (gulp)
21. Amd
23. KristaY - I'm going to give it a swirl!
24 JuneP - Hoping all my planting will be done by early next week, so I can give this a try. It looks challenging; but fun. Love the soap in the video. Wow!

Last edited:
LP, first I have to say great job on the videos! Very clear and well explained. You have a great speaking voice! Also, I love the tube sock idea. I think I'll have to steal that from you, lol. I'm glad you showed using the arm protection whether you actually do it routinely or not. I always think "what if someone decided they want to make soap and this was the first video they watched?" I've seen so many where people soap barefooted, bare-armed, no gloves, no eye protection, etc. Doing it yourself with full understanding is one thing. Teaching someone else it's unnecessary is another.

Anyhoooo, on to my question. Can we decorate the top any way we want as long as the swirl instruction is followed? I was thinking maybe high tops, inverted stamping or imbeds? I don't know if I'll actually do any of those but just to know what options are okay for the challenge. Thx!

Back