April SMF Soap Challenge, Hanger Swirl Petra Style

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rowan, it is so pretty. Maybe you know someone who likes unscented soap? Or a place to donate, because someone would be thrilled to have it. I understand about having plenty of pretty, smell good soap around and wanting to use that. As to advice on the pour and swirl, sorry, I've got nothing. My first failure is still in the mold trying to decide if it should gel or not.

Thanks so much Dibbles. great idea about giving it to someone who likes unscented soap!

You might be pleasantly surprised when you cut your soap and find it's absolutely gorgeous .

However there doesn't appear to be enough black batter on the bottom? I tilted the soap on 3 thin chopping boards which were just under 2cm (total) and poured the initial batter until it reached the other side of the mould. Do you think I should have poured more base soap or tilted more?

It's such a pity I forgot the fragrance! Not sure what I will do with this batch now. Maybe embeds and soap balls?

That is beautiful! Everything about it.

Rowan, that's one exquisite soap. Those colors are amazing. I only hope that when I get to making mine it's half as good as yours!
A lot of people, one of my sisters-in-law, among them, can't use soap with any scents.

Thanks June. Ironically my husband chose the colours as I was dithering so much! I'll have to get him to do it again!

Yes, and I worried about that in my instructional! I was looking down at the mold, so think of it as long end side to side in front of me. If I had the green mold in my first video in front of me, hypothetically, the long ends would be to my left and right.

Thanks for clarifying and mentioning it!

Wait... I'm confused! Do we put the hanger along the long side or the short side?

Long side.

Just cut my first try. It worked.

I'm going to try again with an actual wire and not my gear tie, to see if it makes a difference

Here's my first attempt. My batter was just too runny, unfortunately.

Petra1.jpg

I think you'd be surprised how many people have difficulty using fragrances so someone will be thrilled to use your gorgeous soap, Rowan. I agree that it looks like there isn't enough color on the bottom, so my guess would be that your tilt was not enough. I would try placing something higher under the far corner or if you like the thing you used, just move the mold so that object is under around the middle of the mold or so. I used a stack of a book and the handle of a knife which probably ended up being a bit over an inch. Just over 1/3 of my batter was colors and I think that's a bit too much. I had some left out of that and put it on the top but even so, the color section is probably thicker than it ought to be. I an happy with it though that way but it would look more delicate and wispy if I used only about 1/4 of the batter for the stripes, guessing.

I absolutely love your soap, Mischief! It looks psychedelic!!

Rowan; Not sure what I will do with this batch now. Maybe embeds and soap balls?[/QUOTE said:
Something you could do with your soaps is give them to your local food bank. That's what I do with mine. They are very appreciative and it allows me to make more soap with a clear conscience!

okay let me back up a little bit. LisaAnne, I'm glad you're enjoying the challenge! Crispysoap, coolsuds, and Deeanna, thanks for the kind words about the video. Rowan and dibbles, I'm so sorry for your mishaps! It happens, believe me. I bet they'll be lovely in spite of it.

Rowan, if your mold seems to be a little bit shallow (slightly shorter like my crafters choice is in the video) you really need to make sure you hit that back corner, or even go slightly above that back corner, because it might not leave enough space at the bottom to really lift your wall pours up. If you have a mold like my one pound mold, as I showed in the first video, that's slightly taller than my Crafters Choice mold, then that back corner is going to be fine. If your mold is maybe a little bit taller like a custom mold, like a centimeter or quarter of an inch or something like that, then if you don't quite hit the back wall it might work out. It's going to be really geared to the size of your mold, and I found the back corner works well. If you find it wasn't enough batter you might go a little bit further than you did previously on that try. It's gorgeous as it is btw!

for what it's worth, I did not hit the back corner on one of my practices in my square one pound mold. It wasn't enough. So as I said if you have a custom mold slightly taller that might work out. Slightly shorter go a little above the corner, about standard sized, then the corner works great. this is one of those challenges where I think the size your mold is going to really determine how your design will work out. So it's going to be something you need to try once, and if it doesn't work out maybe make a little adjustments with it on your second try.
Amd, yes, long side:)
Misschief, cool effects! Sorry it didn't work out, but it's cool nonetheless!

Last edited:
On the tilt, as newbie mentions, it too could solve the issue.

I have used my tray at appx 1 inch height. It works, but as I wall pour, my striping gets so close to the edge closest to me, often times I have had to stop and hold the mold in one hand at a lower tilt to finish. The half inch tilt works better for me. The times I did use a 1 inch tilt, it always left plenty of base in the bottom to lift. I just hated the trouble of stopping at the last few wall pours so I could manually tilt it, because it was too full on the edge closest to me.

All that said, if it's not enough base, try adjusting the amount you pour and or also try the higher tilt. Either choice could help the issue.

If anyone tries the higher tilt, and it gets too full to finish the wall pours, maybe have something slightly shorter to switch the tilt to on the last couple wall pours to be sure you can get them to the back wall. Just in case it fills a little too much. This may solve the issue of lift, but it could also help prevent the issue I've had of, "oh no, too full, now what?!"

Little adjustments like mine and newbies suggestion may be necessary. Try them out if youre having trouble:)

Thanks Newbie and LP for the advice on tilting and how much batter to pour. It should help loads next time round! Fingers crossed my FO stays well behaved! otherwise I might have to go with EO's!

Great idea about the foodbank NFrame. I might make up some confetti soap to give the too. I have way too many scraps!!!

Last edited:
ATTENTION PARTICIPANTS:
I realized I made a mistake on the dates. Yes, the challenge thread will close the 23rd, but at midnight, making the survey open the morning of the 24th. Sorry for any confusion, and I edited the opening thread to show the corrected dates.

I found a little extra time in my day today and had my first attempt. I used neroli fragrance and forgot it accelerates a bit and with 40% lye conc I had to work at the speed of light! I think I did it right, my batter was a bit puddingy but it still seemed to layer just about OK. The thing I hate about these challenges is that I can't see what it looks like for a few hours!! Is it good, is it bad?!?!? Does it look anything remotely like it's supposed to?!?!?

I'm about to prepare for my first (I say first cos I am certain this is going to take more than one try to get right!!)

My mould holds around 400g of oils and has dimensions: 3.625x3.625 square with a highly of 2.625 inches. Is this going to work??

How does this tilt height look?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1459882178.455641.jpg

Latest posts

Back