April SMF Soap Challenge Entry Thread: Petra Hanger

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the official entry thread for April's challenge.

Please do not post comments or compliments on this thread. If you wish to comment you may do so on the original challenge thread.

Please post at least one picture of your cut bars mirrored open to look like a butterfly. This is the requirement.

Other pictures are welcome, and you may show off the soaps in any fashion so long as one pic is mirrored.

Information such as colorants and fragrance are also welcome but not required. Videos are acceptable as well.

The survey will be password protected. I will pm you all a password when voting begins.

I will choose your best picture for the survey, and if you prefer a particular picture, pm me to let me know.

Can't wait, good luck!!

Okay, here we go!

I put a couple pics in of my end pieces because I like how part of the pattern is clear and the rest is blurred, like it's trying to come through. I put in a couple of my artsy fartsy close-ups in as well, just for fun, since I'm working on trying different ways to take pictures.

I don't have as much of an upper wing like LP did, but I liked this soap the best of what I did.

Please use my first pic for my entry.

IMG_8938.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

IMG_8943.jpg

IMG_8937:end .jpg

IMG_8948.jpg

IMG_8966.jpg

IMG_8965.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my entry for this month's challenge. I had four goes at it in the end, but ended up using my first try as I think it is the one that showed the technique most accurately. It is scented with a blend of neroli, sweet orange and lemon. It is coloured with several different shades of mica purchased from u make it up in Spain and the black is activated charcoal (Neroli is my favourite so this is definitely a soap just for me!)

Petra Swirl 1.jpg

Petra Swirl 2.jpg

Petra Swirl 3.jpg

Petra Swirl 4.jpg

I ended up with monsters in my soap. One looks like a manta ray and the other looks like a crab. The colors did not come out as bright as I had hoped, but at least the fourth try was successful. I didn't have wings or pudding.

ETA: Well, I guess the fifth try was the best one after all. I love how bright the colors turned out. It smells amazing, too. Yazu satsuma from Soapalooza. Sorry it was upside down. I posted from my iPhone and switched to computer to fix it.

fix it..jpg

Last edited:
Well, here goes. I didn't have a chance to make another batch as my dad was admitted to the hospital. He ended up with 4 cardiac stents and sudden onset diabetes. It's been a really long, scary week.

This batch is scented with an EO blend since those always behave best for me. It's colored with Green Vibrance, Hunter Green, Mocha Brown, AC, and a hint of Desert Sunset, all from Nurture. I also decided to try my hand at a circling Taiwan swirl but just on top.

LP, I'm fine with whatever photo you want to use for the entry. :)

Petra Swirl 02.jpg

Petra Swirl 03.jpg

Petra Swirl 04.jpg

Petra Swirl 05.jpg

Petra Swirl 01.jpg

This is my fourth attempt (apparently I was enjoying myself!).
Still not perfect (I wish I had magic power to see what's happening inside my mold with that hanger swirling) but must do :)
Some soda ash set in after cutting and I had to polish my butterfly with a terry cloth for the photoshooting. You could say it had some makeup session! ;).
This is my currently standard lard recipe: 18% coconut oil, 5% castor oil, 50% lard and 27% OO, with 5% of sorbitol. Scented with a swirl-safe Green Tea FO from behawe.com.

petra_daniluk.jpg

I too am going with the best of the bad. Somehow I'm pouring wrong and can't manage to hit all the layers with my final backward stroke - it would take a slanted hanger stroke to get them all. This was a really hard challenge. Here's my entry, scented with BB Crisp Apple Rose.

I don't think I have been happier with a soap I've made. I learned to do a controlled swirl. There are many mistakes and there are many changes I'd make. But I am just fine with them. I love doing these challenges with all of you and look forward to the next one. I ooh and aah over each one that is posted, I'm so thrilled to be a part of this. Thank you

20160423_201527.jpg

20160423_201300.jpg

20160423_201553.jpg

Back