April 2019 SMF Challenge Cupcake Soap ENTRY THREAD

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

This is the ENTRY Thread for the April 2019 SMF Cupcake Soap Challenge. Entries may be uploaded here starting today through April 27th. Voting will commence on April 28, 2019 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on April 30, 2019. Please note the slight change to entry time and voting dates from the original challenge thread this was to allow more time for voting. All dates are CST.

Please include your chosen entry photo and a brief description of your process if so desired. You may change your entry up to the time the entry thread closes.

Below is a link to the challenge thread should you need to review the rules: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-april-2019-challenge-soap-cupcakes.74536/

Thank you to all participants. Please remember that no comments are allowed in the entry thread. If you wish to make a comment regarding an entry, please do so on the challenge thread. Non-entry posts will be asked to be deleted.

So I was really inspired by some of the beautiful piped-flower cupcakes I've seen around the internet and decided to celebrate spring by making my very own little soapy garden! I used Katie from Royalty Soaps' piping recipe and some of the things from her piping set for the flowers on top, and drew on my little bit of cake decorating experience for technique.
The cupcake base was made using an ITP/Clyde Slide sort of method, and I've included one of my cupcakes cut in half to show off the gorgeous sunset effect inside. The colors are Raspberry Red and Mimosa Yellow, both from Nurture, and I mixed the two together to help the gradient along. Scent is Jamaican Me Crazy from Nature's Garden. Here are a couple close-ups, one of my rose and one of the inside:
GardenRose.jpg GardenInside.jpg
I achieved this gold burnished look by simply mixing gold mica and oil and rubbing that on the soaps with a gloved finger. It turned out really nice!! Here's my entry photo!! Hope you guys like :)
GardenEntry.jpg

Attachments

• Garden1.jpg
    Garden1.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 104
This is my entry for the challenge! These are my "Fifty Shades of Gray" gilded cupcakes :) I was unsure about using such drab colors but I think it gave them a unique look and I hope all of you think so too!
The cupcakes were made starting with a 3 layer cupcake base, then piping flowers, buds and leaves on top. I used a mixture of 91% alcohol and gold mica to give a gilded look to the edges of the flowers and leaves. The cupcakes are scented with "Thymes Eucalyptus".

Cupcakes1.jpg

Here is a view from the top:)
Top of shade 2.jpg 1.jpg

Last edited:
I used the challenge as an opportunity to just play with piping. I normally use piping to frost real cupcakes quickly. I tried to take a little more time with these.

I had some soap balls left from the dotty challenge, so I rolled them in purple mica. I also colored some kosher salt with the same mica, hoping it would look like colored sugar. I used two colors of batter, plain and purple, in the same piping bag. As a base, I used some round soaps I had on hand. After they had cured, I set them into cupcake liners for photographic purposes. The FO was a free sample from Nurture: Ginger Lime. Not sure I like it much.

I'm happy enough with these that I will probably try soapy piping again. Just not on cupcake soaps-- these are such an awkward size and shape. I don't like using them.

IMG_20190409_134140~2.jpeg
IMG_20190409_134212~2.jpeg
IMG_20190409_134231~2.jpeg

Sooo... here goes. I was going for a pink and white soap in reflection for mother’s day. As newbie and this being my second cupcake ever, I think it is ok. I need to learn what the the piping tips do.

So this cup cake was made with Zany’s soap recipe for the entire cupcake. The top was colored with pink clay and scented with lavender and drops of Litsea EO.

Will try again, but not tooo soon. I probably need to watch someone do it in person.

Attachments

• 5472AFA1-19A4-4235-938D-6ECDCBD8BE34.jpeg
    5472AFA1-19A4-4235-938D-6ECDCBD8BE34.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 95
It was a beautiful challenge, my first time making cupcakes!! I wanted something simple as was so afraid of using the russian tips....but I love it, love it, love it. I used 2 diferent recipes, both my own creation, a regular cp soap for the botom and a whipped cp soap for the top. Decided to use Love Spell as a fragrance for my "Enchanted Garden" cupcakes. And a Mad oils mica "3 olive martini" mica for the leaves. Hope you like it!!
1 cpck.jpeg

2 cpck.jpeg

3 cpck.jpeg

4 cpck.jpeg

My entry was made with a recipe using Soy Wax, Hemp, Rice Bran, Olive, Coconut & Castor Oils. I scented it with White Jasmine (Rustic Escentuals), which behaved very nicely in this soap, as the site reviews said it would. I was very pleased. The colorants I used in the soap piping were: TD, Vibrant Yellow, Vibrant Green, Vibrant Orange (by Nurture Soaps) and Jungle Green (by Steph's Micas & More), then I dusted the tops with Gold Shimmer mica from Steph's M&M.

The first photo is a close-up of what I perceive as the best angle to show the top of my favorite soap cupcake, but the following shots show other angles.

I wanted to try my hand at making designs (flowers, leaves, etc.) using several different tips, so I made some ahead and added them after piping the tops. I actually made 4 cupcakes, but am only picturing my favorite one here.

full

Another angle:

full

Another angle:

full

Another angle:

full

And, yes, my soap is still wet as well and they are still in the silicone cupcake forms.

I'm sure we are past the deadline by now so here is my non-entry.

I made mini cupcakes, but I hate using a cupcake soap as it's just too impractical, so I popped them into the middle of a soap loaf. The loaf really was too soft to unmould and cut but I mangled it out and sliced off the end for you to see

20190428_072840.jpg
20190428_072858.jpg

This is my entry for the challenge! These are my "Fifty Shades of Gray" gilded cupcakes :) I was unsure about using such drab colors but I think it gave them a unique look and I hope all of you think so too!
The cupcakes were made starting with a 3 layer cupcake base, then piping flowers, buds and leaves on top. I used a mixture of 91% alcohol and gold mica to give a gilded look to the edges of the flowers and leaves. The cupcakes are scented with "Thymes Eucalyptus".

View attachment 38563

Here is a view from the top:)
View attachment 38562
Wow! These are beautiful!

I'm sure we are past the deadline by now so here is my non-entry.

I made mini cupcakes, but I hate using a cupcake soap as it's just too impractical, so I popped them into the middle of a soap loaf. The loaf really was too soft to unmould and cut but I mangled it out and sliced off the end for you to see

View attachment 38634 View attachment 38635
Love!

My entry was made with a recipe using Soy Wax, Hemp, Rice Bran, Olive, Coconut & Castor Oils. I scented it with White Jasmine (Rustic Escentuals), which behaved very nicely in this soap, as the site reviews said it would. I was very pleased. The colorants I used in the soap piping were: TD, Vibrant Yellow, Vibrant Green, Vibrant Orange (by Nurture Soaps) and Jungle Green (by Steph's Micas & More), then I dusted the tops with Gold Shimmer mica from Steph's M&M.

The first photo is a close-up of what I perceive as the best angle to show the top of my favorite soap cupcake, but the following shots show other angles.

I wanted to try my hand at making designs (flowers, leaves, etc.) using several different tips, so I made some ahead and added them after piping the tops. I actually made 4 cupcakes, but am only picturing my favorite one here.

full

Another angle:

full

Another angle:

full

Another angle:

full

And, yes, my soap is still wet as well and they are still in the silicone cupcake forms.
Love the colors and the detail! Awesome job!

Amy, comments about the soaps should go on the main challenge thread (link) and not here per the Challenge rules. See the first post of this thread.
Please remember that no comments are allowed in the entry thread. If you wish to make a comment regarding an entry, please do so on the challenge thread. Non-entry posts will be asked to be deleted.

@ Primrose, according to the date stamp on my side of "the pond" you did indeed make the entry time!

Entries are now closed. Survey emails to all who signed up in the the challenge thread will be sent out shortly!

Congratulations Everyone!!
Whoa, who knew I would make it in. Praise God.
This is so encouraging.

Back