Apricot Kernel Oil .. Soap with it or use it for something else?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
First, let me say, my mother is a wonderful lady. Although she doesn't listen well sometimes. She had previously asked me about the oils in my soap and the one that caught her attention was Avocado. She did some research about the prices of oils and decided that she was going to surprise me with a gallon of oil.

Surprise! She bought Apricot Kernel Oil instead of Avocado. I've never used the stuff in anything. I've read on here that it can cause DOS if used at too high of a percentage in soap. I've also read that it is wonderful in bath bombs; which, thanks to my recent purchase of 10 Lbs of Citric Acid, I will be attempting to make this weekend.

So, my questions are. Has anyone used Apricot Kernel Oil in their soap? What does it bring to the table? What's the highest % it is safe to use it at? And finally, since I like my recipe as it is ... should I just use this stuff in bath bombs?

I would use it for soap and bath bombs! I recently ordered some from Soaper's Choice but haven't had a chance to use it yet. But I have used another forum member's soap made with Apricot Kernel Oil and it was fabulous which was my impetus to order some for myself. It was osso's spearmint/eucalyptus sample that had such a nice, lotiony feel that I wanted to dupe it. Here was my attempt minus the AKO because my Soaper's Choice order hadn't arrived yet:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=56583

No worries about the DOS? And I'm wondering if I soap with it should I substitute it for some or all of my avocado oil ... decisions decisions

I use apricot kernel at max 10% and haven't had any issues with DOS.
ETA: it really makes a nice soap.

Last edited:
Yep, I use up to 10% with no issues. I have started to use ROE in my liquid oils to prolong their shelf life, especially since I don't use all of them up right away, but I have not had issues with AKO specifically. I really like the AKO in soap, it's very conditioning. Nice in lip balms and sugar scrubs too.

How much avocado were you planning to use? I think osso said 10% was safe and no worries about DOS.

I already use Avocado in my base/go to recipe at 10% with no problems. So, I was thinking that if I used the AKO, I would substitute it for 5% of my Avocado oil instead of changing my OO % as some on the web have recommended.

I would probably try it in body butters or lotion. But can I ask what avocado brings to a soap? A couple days ago I bought a liter from Costco to try before committing to a larger size.
Btw, your mom is so sweet. Wish I had a family member who on their own could think of buying soapy stuff for me. I do have a niece who watches soaping videos with me though, she's 9.

I would probably try it in body butters or lotion. But can I ask what avocado brings to a soap? A couple days ago I bought a liter from Costco to try before committing to a larger size.
Btw, your mom is so sweet. Wish I had a family member who on their own could think of buying soapy stuff for me. I do have a niece who watches soaping videos with me though, she's 9.

Avocado brings a creamier lather and it's not a fully saponifiable oil. To me bars made with it feel "silkier". Sorry that I can't explain it better than that. Also, since I started using Avocado, my bars have not been drying to my skin. Now, that may be because I had to tweek my recipe in order to add the AO.

Last edited:
I love avocado in my salt bars. I think it adds a little something extra to them. I use it at 15%. I've used it at 10-15% in my regular bars and I agree with commoncenz that it adds a creaminess to the soaps.

Back