Apple Cider Vinegar Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I didn't think of marble until you mentioned it. The lather was similar to a regular salt bar but it felt drier. I don't know if this was due to the ACV or just because it was only 24 hours old. Yeah, I was impatient and just had to try a little. Normally, I cure salt bars 6 weeks but I will test at 3 weeks and then at 4 weeks to see if there are differences.

Here's the link to where I discussed making the batch. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showt...843#post464843

I saw a video on Soapmaking 101 where she tried to use lemons to make soap (really summarizing right now). I don't know all of the ingredients that she used but it ended up not turning into soap. Did your ACV trace nicely or did it take a while?

Love the soap! It's really funky! Totally agree with IrishLass!

Thanks! It traced quickly. Really too quickly because it zipped past a nice swirling trace into pudding and I soaped at RT. I don't know if it was because of the ACV or FO. I'm going to try again but this time I won't use all ACV. I want to use brine and ACV.

I find it so interesting that you can use so many different liquids to soap with. I'm curious to know how it feels when it's fully cured. Btw...I think it looks like stone...like I could pick it up and knock someone out with it LOL :)

Here is my ACV soap I made by mistake. I misread the recipe and used apple cider vinegar instead of plain ol' apple cider. It was a day or two before it hit me out of the blue that the recipe was probably for cider. I checked the recipe, and sure enough, it shoulda been cider. It actually turned out great. I saw the Soaping 101 video as well so I'm surprised it harden. It ended up being a winning mistake that everyone is loving!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1414723149.513049.jpg

Ooo, that's neat looking! Now I'm intrigued... If you don't mind me asking, did you use all vinegar or just a portion? Also, did you freeze it?

Yes, all vinegar, and yes, all frozen. I used just a bit of titanium dioxide in t

Oops! ....titanium dioxide in the larger portion so the stripe is the natural color.

All the soaps here look great! Does vinegar reduce the bubbles? Can we add sodium lactate to it to make a stiff bar,or is vinegar bar hard enough?

"...I saw a video on Soapmaking 101 where she tried to use lemons to make soap (really summarizing right now). I don't know all of the ingredients that she used but it ended up not turning into soap. Did your ACV trace nicely or did it take a while?..."

Hopefully Hazel will chime in to confirm, but I believe she compensated for the added acid by adding extra lye as well. I get the feeling y'all are thinking she just added vinegar to the recipe without other adjustments.

Many people add acid without adjusting the lye properly. The soap they end up with will vary depending on just how much acid was added. Acid (vinegar (acetic acid), citric acid, vitamin C (ascorbic acid)) neutralizes some of the lye. If there is less lye to make the soap, then that increases the superfat. Small amounts of acid will leave the soap looking more or less "normal". If a lot of acid is added, however, the soap will end up an ugly soft mess, as Soaping 101's Cathy found out.

@ KatieShephard

My normal salt bars could be considered lethal weapons if slung at someone’s head. They are hard! I’ll report back when I try one.

@ HippieGirl64

Those are beautiful bars! What is the lather like?

@ Ellacho

Those are lovely and look so smooth. Have you done a comparison of the 50%/50% ACV/water as compared to a batch made with 100% water? I’m wondering if the ACV makes a difference.

@ shaan

I haven’t noticed a reduction in bubbles but if it does, it may not be apparent in a salt bar. Hopefully, HippieGirl64 and Ellacho will see your question and let you know about their soaps.

@DWinMadison

That’s not stupid to ask. My assumption when I decided to make it was that the vinegar scent would not make it through saponification. However, I could smell some vinegar on my hands after I tried a little piece the next day. My current assumption is the vinegar scent will disappear during curing since I’ve had other liquids’ scents fade over several weeks – like beer. I’ll try to remember to mention the scent when I report back.

@ DeeAnna

Sorry, I can’t confirm. :oops: I probably did watch it because the lemon part sounds familiar but I don’t remember the results. (I prefer to blame memory problems on stress as opposed to old age.) Maybe someone else will remember and be able to state how she did it. I'm going to further shame myself by confessing I haven't watched any soapmaking videos on youtube for a long, long time. I just get so busy in the evenings that I don't get on youtube unless someone posts a link. To deepen my shame, I may not even click on the link.

Oh, Hazel, I don't think I phrased my sentence very well. I was wanting you to confirm whether you added extra lye to neutralize the vinegar, not whether you watched that video.

I use ACV for many things, but I'm wondering.....what's the benefit of using it in soap? What properties does it add?

@ navigator9 -

I don't know if there are any benefits. Maybe someone else knows the answer. This was just an experiment which I had decided to do after reading about ACV in another topic. I'll find out more in a few weeks. If there aren't any benefits, then I would consider ACV as label appeal.

I don't think I phrased my sentence very well. I was wanting you to confirm whether you added extra lye to neutralize the vinegar, not whether you watched that video.

Oh sorry! I was tired and misunderstood. Yes, that what was I was doing - adding extra lye to compensate for the ACV. I forgot to thank you for the information on how to calculate for the vinegar. That was nice of you to post it because I may not have been able to find info on my own. For people who didn't see DeeAnna's original post about calculating lye amount for vinegar which is in another topic, it's here --> http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=462539#post462539

I was surprised by what a difference the vinegar made in affecting the superfat. It really didn't seem like it would make that much difference but it really did. That's why I chose to make a salt bar instead of my go-to recipe for this experiment. I came up with 12% lye discount to end up with approximately 19%-20% superfat. Of course, that's if my calculation was correct. I just didn't want make my regular recipe with a high superfat. It probably would have turned out all right. But since I had decided to give the soap to a nephew if it turned out, I didn't want the SF to be higher than 5% and I didn't want to make it with a minus lye discount. (This is me being wimpy. :lol: )

Ok Hazel as promised my ACV experiment.
I use 2/3 AVC and 1/3 Aloe Juice
Rose Kaolin clay
Sea Salt

If I'd known how red they were going to turn out I would have put peppermint or candy cane fragrant but I use a more manly scent because my husband loves all soap with clay in it.

Those look great. I like the red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back