Apparently I just can't help myself...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fillycate

Reaction score
I said I wouldn't make another batch until my stick blender comes in the mail in over a week.

So here I am making my second batch with a potato masher! This time I added essential oils, just a hint of floral and woody. Calling it Misty Forest. :)

I just had to make it. The refined bacon grease from breakfast last week was staring me in the face! 😅

Goatmilk: 24.32 oz
Coconut oil: 22.04 oz
Sunflower oil: 30.72 oz
Bacon grease: 10.24 oz because that is what I had
Lye: 9.61
A hint of Texas Cedarwood, Lavender, Cistus Rockrose, and Cypress essential oils.

20200710_151959.jpg

Aaaaaand it's already going through gel phase. Yikes! Infrared thermometer says it is 122 F on the surface! And all the effort I went through to keep it below 85 the entire time it was processing it... 😥
20200710_183550.jpg

This is not my business but with a cleansing number of approx 24 why would you use a 0 superfat? I superfat low but I admit I would not with that high a cleansing number, but we all have different tolerances. Also, your high liquid low lye concentration of 27% contributes to higher heat/faster gel.

According to SoapCalc, I ran both batches at %2 superfat because I am using Nigerian Dwarf goat milk which can be as high as %10 fat. I realize that the practice is to simply replace the water with goat milk, but I am adding a liquid that has a lot of solids in it, fat as well as carbs and protein.

I am also a complete beginner. This is my second batch in a decade. If I don't like the final product, I will make adjustments. I made this most recent one because I literally only had three kinds of fats on hand. I used all of the bacon grease I had on hand, and it was already very sunflower oil heavy. I have purchased other oils, but they are in the mail and on their way.

Not knowing the actual GM fat content I understand but soap calc does still come up with 0 superfat. Of course, you added in superfat with your gm. Think I was not paying attention when I asked the question, which seems to happen more often these days. 😁

I may have made a mistake when tweaking the numbers to try and get the lard to equal exactly what I had. It looks like I should have put in 23.04 oz coconut oil, not 22.04. It was my intention to have %2 superfat by the reciple (with the goat milk adding extra) not %0. I am not sure what happened.

Latest posts

Back