Anyone

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selah925

Reaction score
have a good (1)cinnamon spice recipe and a (2)grapefruit recipe?

(1) I have cinnamon and nutmeg spices, but I am assuming I need to include an essential oil, right? Also, not sure on which oils to use?

(2) I have only .5 oz. of grapefruit essential oil.

I don't really want to buy anymore ingredients right now (unless I really have to because I have bought so much lately!) But here is what I have to work with:

Olive Oil
Palm Oil
Castor Oil
Crisco
Safflower Oil
Canola Oil
Jojoba Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Grapeseed Oil (not the extract)
Avocado Oil
Lemongrass, Sweet Orange, Grapefruit, & Eucalyptus EO

Thanks so much!

Hmmmmm....let's see. My first impulse as far as your oils would be something like this.

40% Palm Oil
35% Olive Oil
20% Crisco
5% Castor

That would make a nice hard bar....not as bubbly as coconut oil, but still a nice soap.

You could also take 5-10% away from the Crisco, and sustitute some of your other luxury oils (I call them the bling oils :lol:). You would have a slightly more luxurious bar, with lots of condiioning qualities, and low creamy, and luxurious lather. :)

You can use your spices as colors, but you're not going to get much, if any scent from them in the finished product. You will have to invest in some fragrance or essential oils for that. If you don't mind FO....SaveOnScents has a really good cinnamon that is cheap. Just be prepared....it makes things move FAST on trace. But, for $10 a POUND, it works well. :)

The grapefruit probably isn't going to hold on its own....never had any luck with citrus oils holding....I would try mixing it with the Sweet Orange and a touch of the Lemon Grass.

Edited to add: I would add a antioxidant, like ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) or vitamin E if you decide to use the canola or the safflower oils. They have a tendency to go rancid quickly.

Oh ... and I do have coconut oil! I forgot to add that one.

So, cinnamon oil would be considered a FO and not an EO?

Thanks!

You can buy either EO or FO....I usually buy the FO because it's much less expensive.

Oh....and you do have coconut! Add about 20-30% into your mix and you will get a much nicer bubbly soap! :)

The main reason to buy the cinnamon scent as an FO is because FO's are synthetic scents while EO's are distilled right from the plants and can potentially give qualities to your soap besides just scent. Real cinnamon oil is a fairly potent skin irritant - you know how RedHots candies burn your mouth? Or have you ever had one of those toothpicks dipped in cinnamon oil? Imagine your soap doing that all over you in the shower!

I've used powdered cinnamon (from the spice aisle) in very small quantities to give nice rusty-colored flecks to soap, but it's not enough to smell. EO's used in enough volume to give a wonderful cinnamon scent would probably have your family and customers dancing around in misery. Normally I favor EO's over FO's, but this is one exception.

Back