Anyone want to share a Lotion recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaysoap

Reaction score
I made some for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Seemed to turn out nice until I saw mold growing in it. It seemed to be nice until then.
1 part emus wax
2 parts glycerin
6 parts oils
12 parts water
I was told this was too much glycerin and oils and has no preservatives. Can anyone give me some pointers?

A nice place to start:

20% butter and oils
5% ewax
1-2% EO
preservative as needed
water to bring you to 100%

keep in mind that solid oils/ butters will thicken it. i like a little beeswax in the colder months--maybe 1-2%? cornstarch is a nice tough if your oils are greasy. play a round with that and see how it goes. some people really like glycerin in their lotions (i do!)--others don't. the recipe you posted is almost 10% glycerin; maybe a little much for an all-purpose lotion. . . . i'd cut that down to maybe 2%. . . ?

as for the preservatve. . . the amount depends on the kind--they're all different. your best bet would be to check your favorite supplier and see what they are selling--they'll have recommendations.

i've been using Tinosan, which is "Silver Citrate & Citric Acid". it woks for me at .3%. . . . this preservative is still "controversial" (for lack of a better word) and i'm sure someone will pop in with their opinion. . .

Back