Anyone use Epic Beef Tallow?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabby

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to switch to tallow from palm oil and the only tallow I found locally was Epic Beef Tallow at sprouts. I've made one batch of soap so far using this tallow and it seems ok. It gelled fine. The tallow has a slight beefy smell when I opened the jar and the texture seemed grainier than I expected. Anyone else use it? Did it age ok? Any DOS?

tallow.jpg

Oh wow! Sprouts sells beef tallow? Cool beans! I'll have to check it out!

For what it's worth, I use the tallow from Columbus Foods/Soaper's Choice, which in comparison to your picture is pure white and creamy-smooth with very little to no beefy smell, which makes me wonder if the Sprouts tallow could maybe use a couple more rounds of rendering to make it more soap-worthy perhaps (I don't know for sure - I'm just spouting off the top of my head)? In any case, though, it sounds like it soaped well for you. Hopefully those with more experience with this brand of tallow will chime in soon as far as how things turn out in the long-term.

Edited to add: By the way- welcome! :wave:

IrishLass :)

Back