Anyone tried to replicate historic soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchwitch

Reaction score
My husband wants me to make a soap that smells like leather and olives and call it The Centurion, all because of one spoken line in the TV series Rome. I was doing some research for that and got curious about what old world Romans would have used as soap or perfume, if at all. Turns out they used scented oils and were crazy for perfume and I found an article stating that they (the mysterious they) have discovered what was most likely Julius Caesar's favorite soap/scent combo. I'm going to look into trying to come close to it.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else found or tried to duplicate old world soap recipes, or researched the topic? I think it would be really interesting to see what past cultures used.

Also, if anyone knows of a fragrance that literally smells like olives (stronger than olive oil), that would be awesome, too. :)

I have never tried to replicate, but I adore Jicky by Guerlain and have bought a body spray of it. A batch of soap in it is on my short list as well, once I find the FO.

From wiki:
Jicky is a perfume by the House of Guerlain. Introduced in 1889, it is the oldest continuously-produced perfume in the world.
Jicky was one of the first perfumes created with the addition of synthetic materials and was the first abstract perfume in history, meaning it is not based on a single note. Its perfume notes include: spice, lemon, lavender, wood, and vanilla. Its stopper is shaped like a champagne cork.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back