Anyone mix their additives....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
in the coconut milk, goat milk, buttermilk INSTEAD of mixing it in the water for the Lye?

Additives as in Salt, Sugar, Honey etc...

When I use SL I'll mix it in whatever additional liquid I'm using to my masterbatch, however, I don't really use additives for the most part other than SL.

I add all my additives together and blend into my oils before my lye solution (milk powders, EDTA, honey, sugar, sodium lactate, clays, colloidal oatmeal, whatever). That includes a double-strong milk solution... I just make sure to reserve at least the same weight of water as lye for my lye solution. The only thing that goes into my lye solution pot is tussah silk.

I dissolve sugar in the water before adding the lye and add sodium lactate to the solution after it has cooled. Everything else goes into the oils, up front or at trace. I will reserve some of my liquid oils and mix with clay to hydrate it, or add the clay to the water I’ve reserved for sodium citrate and blend it into the oils before adding the lye.

Thanks all. I was worried that granular things might not stay incorporated well enough.
I tried mixing it all in warmed up CM and seemed to have worked well. Then I put in fridge to see how it will be when warmed back up to room temp

All my additives which are few, sorbitol and edta in all batches I mix in the extra liquid which lately is Vinegar. I also masterbatch and add nothing but silk cocoons to the lye if I am using them.

Latest posts

Back