Anyone make goat milk soap using Grapeseed oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonsMum

Reaction score
I've been making goat milk soap with two different recipes, but now I'd like to find a recipe that incorporates GRAPESEED OIL. Does anyone have a recipe they'd recommend or share?

I currently have vegetable shortening, coconut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, and canola oil all on hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

I don't have a recipe but I love grapeseed oil in soap. It seems to add a silkiness. My favorite soap so far had 15% Grapeseed. I tried running some of the oils you have through soapcalc and it seems as if you may want to find a hard oil to add to your collection. Someone with more experience will have some good advice for you I'm sure.

Well, coconut oil is but I have heard many people say that it's best not to use more than 20% of it in your recipe because it can be too drying.

Palm is what I have been using, and I think it might be what your shortening is made from. Palm Kernel Oil gives a hardness but it's very similar to coconut so that's kind of repetitive. Cocoa Butter or Shea are hard but pricey.

The list of oils I've used so far is fairly basic. Some people use lard or tallow. I think they are hard oils as well, but I haven't used them.

I'm not using animal fat either, I know it's fine and makes a good soap and it's really affordable but...

The palm issue I wasn't aware of until after I had placed my order. I then spoke to the supplier and there were quite a few threads going on the subject a couple weeks ago that you should look up. People were discussing alternatives to palm. I came to the conclusion based on what the supplier had to say and the debates here in the forum that palm is something I'm ok with. From the standpoint of being able to say "my soap is better for the environment because..." I can see why people are choosing not to use it. But the trees are already there, the demand is extremely high, it's in everything and what really got me was the the people who farm on it depend on the income, they don't have anything else.

Below are links to 2 of the threads on palm.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=18626

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=18853

I don't have a good answer for your question other than to check the old threads.

No not at all - you can make a nice hard oil with Coconut oil at 20%. Grapeseed oil is fine in soap and I would recommend 10 - 15%....

PrairieCraft said:
I can see why people are choosing not to use it. But the trees are already there, the demand is extremely high, it's in everything and what really got me was the the people who farm on it depend on the income, they don't have anything else.

Right. I just want to point out that as many bad things people have to say about a particular subject, there are always facts that go unnoticed. Thanks for pointing that out, PrairieCraft, as I feel the palm issue is being beat into the ground and I'm tired of hearing about it. Just being honest.

As far as the grapeseed goes, I agree with Lindy, I would keep the % low, around 10%, and it does have a nice feel. I have only used it a couple of times, I tend to like really simple recipes, but no objections from me so far!

Back