anyone here made Pinetar soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make it and it has a "pine" scent to it. I use about 16% Pine Tar.... it's great for excema as well as psoriasis. Good Luck....

I use 20%. The scent can be woody/piney or quite unpleasant depending on your pine tar source. But either way, I make it for a friend with psoriasis and she says it ROCKS. I scent it with a blend of lavender, peppermint, tea tree, and one other thing I can't recall.

(apparently eczema sufferers do better with something mild and gentle, and psoriasis seems to be treated better with something drying so I use different base formulas for the two - but both include 20% pine tar)

if you CP it, be warned the stuff moves FAST.

thanks! So....the stuff we buy for the horses might not be a good source? Is there somewhere else you would recommend, as that is the only place I know to get it! and thank you so much for the info!

peteyfoozer said:
thanks! So....the stuff we buy for the horses might not be a good source? Is there somewhere else you would recommend, as that is the only place I know to get it! and thank you so much for the info!
--- that is the source

I made a pine tar soap with 20%, but it didn't do anything for my husband's scaly elbows, or my daughter's itchy arm spot. In fact it irritated my daughter's arm. I guess what works for some, might not work for another! I left it unscented and the smokey pine tar smell wasn't bad at all.

Petey, I made mine with Bickmore Pine Tar, which smells very liniment-y. It was the only pine tar I could find locally. I made mine with 25% pine tar and used lard/olive oil. I have given it to several people who have said it helped alleviate their eczema and also helped the sores from poison ivy.

The soap smells like liniment, too.

If you give it to someone, make sure to warn them not to get it in their eyes, or use it on their private parts. It will sting.

(Edited to corrected wrong percentage of pine tar. I originally posted 40%, from memory, and later checked my notes. I apologize for the mistake. I don't know if 40% would work.)

I checked my notes and realized I told you the wrong percentage. The pine tar was 25%. I apologize.

You can use the "animal" pine tar for soaping without any problems. You'll usually find it a little less expensive as well..... farmer's have used it for years on their families....

Lindy said:
You can use the "animal" pine tar for soaping without any problems. You'll usually find it a little less expensive as well..... farmer's have used it for years on their families....

you lost me

Carebear - Pinetar can be found inexpensively at farm supply stores and it is often labelled as "Not For Human Use". In Canada that is required for any "Animal Use" products. Farmers have always used that product for applying to injuries to people as well as animals. I personnally wouldn't use it 100% like I've seen some do, but in the amounts we use for soaps, lotions, balms etc. it is safe. When we go to Pine Tar that doesn't have that label then we usually find the price increases dramatically.

From all that I have read on animal vs people pharmaceuticals (and this would apply with the Pine Tar too) is that it is a purity issue although some argue that it is less expensive to license it as an vet/animal product and it must contain that warning. For instance I have known of people who purchase Phenibarbitol (sp) for epileptic seizure through vets rather than pharmacies because of the huge differnce in price without any adverse reactions or side effects. Is it something I would do - no - but I do know of people who have done it successfully.

I hope that all made sense.....

Latest posts

Back