Anyone here have dreadlocks and make shampoo bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't use none of those , no salt and no baking soda. liquid soap / shampoo works for me with a conditioner followed by a disinfectant rinse . when i started aloe plus leaf cactus did the trick .

I'm sorry, I'm confused. What do you mean by disinfectant rinse? And "aloe plus leaf cactus did the trick"? You used aloe juice? You rubbed a cactus leaf on it? Could you be more specific, please?

Those are some beautiful dreads you've got there!

I'm sorry, I'm confused. What do you mean by disinfectant rinse? And "aloe plus leaf cactus did the trick"? You used aloe juice? You rubbed a cactus leaf on it? Could you be more specific, please?

Those are some beautiful dreads you've got there!

here is a nice video showing how we wash our locks in the caribbean using flat leaf cactus [aloe is done the same way] .... we do not use "juice" but rather the slime // [ame]https://vimeo.com/13405024[/ame]
seeing that my hair stays moist for long periods before it is fully dried i use a disinfectant- antiseptic that retards the chance of my hair producing mold and any type of odor .

here is a nice video showing how we wash our locks in the caribbean using flat leaf cactus [aloe is done the same way] .... we do not use "juice" but rather the slime // https://vimeo.com/13405024
seeing that my hair stays moist for long periods before it is fully dried i use a disinfectant- antiseptic that retards the chance of my hair producing mold and any type of odor .

Thank you for the video, Lion! That looks like the nopales you can buy in the produce section here. I wonder if it would be good for hair in general? Guess I need to learn a little more about aloe and flat leaf cactus. :D

nature gives us everything we need all we got to do is look . where are you located cm4bleenmb? at the core ,cultured dreads are different , within my culture and community you find "bongo" locks which is simply the "non" separation of locks, the hair takes its natural course in growth. the hair is not twisted nor bound .

nature gives us everything we need all we got to do is look . where are you located cm4bleenmb? at the core ,cultured dreads are different , within my culture and community you find "bongo" locks which is simply the "non" separation of locks, the hair takes its natural course in growth. the hair is not twisted nor bound .

Lion, I live in Southern California, in a little town about 20 miles west of Palm Springs. But I grew up in Western Michigan, also in a small town. You said "this is how we wash our locks" so I'm assuming you are still in the Carribean?

It is amazing how you can look at the history of an area and find that nature always managed to provide the local culture with a solution for what they needed.

I'm not about to give up all the conveniences of modern living and go back to nature, but I am happy to see more people waking up to the fact that the chem lab and big pharma are not our only options. Sometimes there's a very good reason why some natural remedies have been around so long.

If I understand the bongo locks idea, you would stop brushing or combing your hair, and never cut it, but you would still wash it. Because there's a difference between manipulating something as opposed to respecting and caring for it? Hmmm, this is fascinating but probably not a direction we should continue on since it doesn't really relate to the original shampoo bar question?

Back