Anyone have this soap cutter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I do not have that particular brand, I do have a planer that looks almost the same when that one is turned over for use as a planer. After about a year of use and cleaning after each use, the wood began to warp, and left gouges in my soaps when I planed them.

Consider how you will keep it clean and avoid wood warping.

I don't care for planers in that style, b/c if that blade gets a bit crooked it is very very difficult to get it perfectly even again. I couldn't do it and ended up throwing away the planer. I got a bladeless acrylic one and I like it a lot. But that's the planer portion, not the slicer portion.

I don't care for planers in that style, b/c if that blade gets a bit crooked it is very very difficult to get it perfectly even again. I couldn't do it and ended up throwing away the planer. I got a bladeless acrylic one and I like it a lot. But that's the planer portion, not the slicer portion.
Do you have a picture? :)

Using it as a soap cutter you won’t get perfect cuts on a mitre box. The blades move and cut concave or convex slopes to the soap and the cuts are not straight either. They are better than a knife but no where near as good as a wire cutter.

I have a single wire cutter that I purchased from Soapies Supplies (don't think they still exist) about 15 year ago. Mine has a Handle and knobs to tighten the wire string to cut soap. That makes it easy to keep the tension on the wire tight. I wouldn't want that loose guitar string wire that is in the picture. Also, where I place the soap log is a flat wood piece longer than my log. That helps keep my soap log in place. The photo looks like the place for the log is too short for most logs. I would be concerned that it would be hard to keep it aligned for cutting.

I really like my cutter. I assumed that I would move up to the big boy cutters with multiple wires but never did. I really like the flexibility of changing the width of my bars as needed. That way a log that weighs less can still be cut with a comparable weight of other bars.

So, yes, I like this type of cutter but I think this one is missing some important points, the cutting handle being the biggest. I would continue looking or look for directions for making them.

I don't use a planer and use a potato peeler to bevel. I had a cutter that was like the one on the posted item. Could still never get a straight cut. Not consistent enough to have at least close weight bars. I have a Bud Cutter - the metal multi and the single wooden cutter. Best purchases I've made and close second are Nurture Silicone Molds.

I really like my cutter. I assumed that I would move up to the big boy cutters with multiple wires but never did. I really like the flexibility of changing the width of my bars as needed. That way a log that weighs less can still be cut with a comparable weight of other bars.
My sentiments exactly!

Back