Anyone have these in there white soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peepersnickle

Reaction score
When I make soap without any colorants or fragrance is when I notice this little black dust bits and crap on the side of the bars. I wash the molds and dry them before pouring and it still happens. Picture sucks, I apologize. It's more noticeable in person. If you look right above the glare on the soap you can see the bits. It's an easy solve just planing the sides but I'm wondering if anyone runs in to "stuff" on the sides of there white bars or if I need to do a better job. Its driving me insane because how many dirty bars have I sold and not noticed because of the colorant.
IMG_20220222_065934248.jpg

If you also find something inside a bar while using it, check your lye. The first one I bought had some black speckles hidden in it. I thought they were dust that settled while it cooled by the window.

It could be any number of things. It could be from your Sodium Hydroxide, it could be from your oils and/or butters. It could be something on your knife or wire cutter. It could be from whatever you are using to dry your molds. It could also be your water that you are washing with if it has a higher mineral content.

It could be in one of your Fats your using? I noticed I’d find dark specks in my raw shea butter only noticeable after it’s melted. Could be in your lye as we’ll but you’d probably notice the specks prior to use. Hope you find the culprit.

This is interesting. I haven't made a lot of soaps and I have noticed things like that when I have tried to use up old random stuff. Hope you find your culprit!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm an idiot. I cut up a couple bars and it's not throughout the soap just on the edges. Turns out it was just some dust on side of molds. I wash them but they need a quick rinse before the soap gets poured.

Even if I have just used them, I always give my molds a quick wash with soap and hot water and then dry them.

Back