Anyone Have Lotion Favorites?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what other people like in their lotions. I'm still trying to make a decent lotion for my daughter. I've been playing around with mango seed butter, shea butter, rice bran, avocado, olive, and apricot kernel oils and I basically ignore the latter two listed. But I also do not have the luxury of using any tree nut oils aside from coconut oil and shea butter.

I need some inspiration on some level.

My favorite lotion to make (and use) is this one (LotionCrafter's Body Butter Bliss): http://www.lotioncrafter.com/formulary/Body_Butter_Bliss.pdf

It has the same feel and thick consistency (to me) of Vaseline Intensive Care's Cocoa Butter Radiant lotion, which happens to be one of my favorite OTC lotions to use. It's wonderfully thick and oomphy, which I like a lot.

IrishLass :)

I love avocado oil in body butter and of course calendula or camomile infused OO, Emuslismulse is my choice for body, Polawax and lately BMTS-50 for face cream or lotion, I do not use a lot of butters in lotion just a tiny bit to make it more occluding on winter time:)

My favorite lotion to make (and use) is this one (LotionCrafter's Body Butter Bliss): http://www.lotioncrafter.com/formulary/Body_Butter_Bliss.pdf

It has the same feel and thick consistency (to me) of Vaseline Intensive Care's Cocoa Butter Radiant lotion, which happens to be one of my favorite OTC lotions to use. It's wonderfully thick and oomphy, which I like a lot.

Thanks for reminding me! I've had this one on my must-try list for a long time. I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

Probably my favorite ingredient in lotions is shea butter. My skin just loves it in any product. I normally also include cyclomethicone and dimethicone at 2% each. They really help with glide and make the lotion feel silky.

Last edited:
Ive only made one lotion with shea and hemp oil, and its a do-again for me. Just waiting on supplies so I can make more. I want to play around with cocoa butter, sweet almond oil and avocado maybe.

To me lotion isn't useful unless it has glycerin in it (it's often extremely dry here). I also like a small amount of unscented sesame oil.

Interesting. I tend to avoid glycerin for the same reason - it's often extremely dry here. I find that my skin feels dry after using lotions with glycerin. It has to draw moisture from somewhere if it isn't drawing it from the air.

That is interesting! There's a lot of info about the pros and cons of glycerin - enough to make your head spin when deciding how to formulate your recipe. My skin is happy with just glycerin and water in a spray, so I always put it in my lotion.

That just goes to show how all those pro/con glycerin studies need to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone's skin needs are different-. For example, I happen to live in a very arid region and I love glycerin.....or else it loves me.... In any case- we get along great together. lol It doesn't dry me out at all...just the opposite actually.

Not lotion, I realize, but for lotion bars, my favorite recipe is one part beeswax, one part cocoa butter and one part avocado oil. My skin loves cocoa butter and avocado oil, and my winter skin just soaks up this bar...slurp! After using it, even the following day, my legs feel like silk.

Great thread! I've been making lotion for a while now, but had some really horrible failures in the beginning. I have three recipes now that I've made a few times and really like, but they're not ones that I've formulated myself. That's the next step! I really like the lotions that I make with shea butter (I've been using the ultra-refined so that the smell won't come through in the lotion). It has a nice luxurious feel, and it has a low comedogenic rating, so it won't clog pores. Having non-clogging oils in your lotion formula is definitely a plus! Here's a link with some info oils with low and high comedogenic ratings: https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html

One time my mom gave her friend a lotion bar. Friend loved it so much she got naked and put it all over her entire body. Then she went to use the bathroom and WOOSH slipped off the toilet like it was a slip-n-slide.

OMG......I can't get that picture out of my head!!! ROTFL

To me lotion isn't useful unless it has glycerin in it (it's often extremely dry here). I also like a small amount of unscented sesame oil.
Have you ever tried Sodium lactate or Honeyquat as humectant? You can
use SL and glycerin in one lotion, I love honeyquat so I add SL into water phase and honequat into cool down phase. It is fantastic lotion;))

DW loves 25% Bee's Wax, 25% Shea, 44% Babassu and/or soybean oil, 2% IPM, 2% Dimethicone, 2% Cyclomethicone.

Have you ever tried Sodium lactate or Honeyquat as humectant? You can
use SL and glycerin in one lotion, I love honeyquat so I add SL into water phase and honequat into cool down phase. It is fantastic lotion;))

No I haven't tried it and I have some sodium lactate on hand - now you've got me intrigued! I'm hoping to make some lotion during my time off around Christmas.

Latest posts

Back