Anyone Have "Cures to Pink" Examples?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
Does anyone have an example of what it means for a fragrance oil to cure a soap to pink? I've heard that it's the petrichor element that can do it in some FOs. My bottle of "River Stone" from WSP says it does it, as does "Thunderstorm". I've been concocting a color scheme based on my visit to the Deep Creek trail system in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and I would love to use my Riverstone FO, but I'm not sure how dramatic of a pink I need to account for. I guess with most of my colors I had in mind they'd probably go brown with the addition of pink, which might not be too bad of an outcome. Any examples or advice would be great!

Here's my color scheme idea:

Screenshot (62).png

@MelissaG I seem to recall you saying that you used a Petrichor scent once that did this, although you said that the color reverted back to normal after a while. If you had a picture of the discoloration that would be amazing, but if not what sort of pink are we talking here? Is it like magenta or more of a fleshy pink, or. . . ?

Not mine, but I googled the scent notes of those two fragrances and was able to find these two batches:

Seems like the discoloration is so minor it's easily covered up by TD and other colors.

Not mine, but I googled the scent notes of those two fragrances and was able to find these two batches:

Seems like the discoloration is so minor it's easily covered up by TD and other colors.
Well that's very helpful. I was leaning towards pressing on, so unless someone else has a different opinion, I'll probably take the plunge with fingers crossed. 🤞

My fragrances that contained the petrichor element always seemed to cure with the pink tinge only when I used lard or in my salt bars otherwise, the fragrance seemed to behave. What the correlation was I sadly, never figured out. But every time both the salt bars and the lard bars would have a pink tint to them and/or a definite pink rind.

You could mix your FO just in the darker colors of your soap, if there’s enough of them.
That's not a bad idea. I had been talking to my sister who is not a soap maker about my dilemma, and she actually thought of that too. 😆 Like duh, I've totally seen soapers do that and I didn't even consider it. 🤦‍♀️

Well here's the outcome. My two midrange colors seem to have morphed so we'll see if they return or not, but the other two don't look so bad. Not exactly what I was aiming for color wise, but good enough.

Attachments

• IMG_5311.JPG
    IMG_5311.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5313.JPG
    IMG_5313.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back