Anyone good at maths?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapstars

Reaction score
Hiya, just wondering - if I make a recipe using 6% superfat - then add coconut cream (250ml) which has an extra 50g of fat in it - what is the actual superfat percentage I am using please? This is for oils of 900g total. Does this make sense to anyone please?

Hiya, just wondering - if I make a recipe using 6% superfat - then add coconut cream (250ml) which has an extra 50g of fat in it - what is the actual superfat percentage I am using please? This is for oils of 900g total. Does this make sense to anyone please?

If you have a superfat of 6% on 900g of oils, that would be about 54g of unsopanified oils. Add in another 50 grams and that's 104g of unsaponified oils.

104/950 = ~10.95% superfat

You can also use your favorite calculator to do this for your exact recipe. Put the recipe in for 900g with 6% superfat, calculate and note the required amount of lye. Then switch from percent to grams to lock in the amounts and add another 50g of coconut oil (for your coconut cream fat). Keep increasing the superfat percentage and recalculating until the calculated lye drops back as close as possible to the original amount of lye from the first run.

I should add, too, that I hope you're accounting for the added water in that cream. If you're just adding to an otherwise-normal recipe you're going to have an effective lye concentration of about 20%, which is a very wet soap.

Hiya BrewerGeorge and HappyHenry. Thank you for the quick maths and advice. Yes, I have replaced all the water with coconut cream plus a smidgen of water to dissolve the TD for whitening. Also added coconut fragrance with vanillin and smells great! The maths all makes sense once explained, bit late in the day for my poor brain though...never mind there is another day tomorrow! Had a really stressful day with a damp proofing company and a job gone wrong so soaping to relieve stress. Ahhhh thats better : )

Latest posts

Back