Anyone get supplies by ocean freight?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
Hey! Ok, so I'm looking at a new supplier for my body butter jars. They're in China, which is fine- I've ordered bunches of supplies from there. But there's a huge difference with this one- the jars would ship via ocean freight. What should I know? Who's problem is it if they all break in transit? Will I then have to drive to my nearest port and pick them up from the docks? How does this work?

You need to speak with the shipping company. I am looking at ordering something from China and they do what is called FOB - meaning they will be put it on to a truck from their loading bay and that is all. Your shipping company will then be the one to handle the delivery to you or to a certain point agreed with you - it might be a port, it might be a depot, it might be your house, depending on the agreement you make with them.

If your supplier will actually arrange the shipping, then the end point is something that you need to arrange with them. As for breakages, again, you will have to speak with them

You may be wise to work with an import broker for this shipment. There will be a customs inspection, possibly import duties to pay, as well as transportation costs and such. Damage or loss during transit is generally the receiver's problem if the shipment is FOB.

Back