Anyone ever visit this site?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, i mean, let's face it. you're not going to find anything anywhere nowadays, that you will not find something wrong with. that site is there to make money off of peoples' fears.

it's kind of like looking at a Doppler radar, to me. if you turn the sensitivity up on the radar, you can make an area of fog look like an intense downpour.

take what they say with a grain of salt. the governmental regulation agencies aren't going to let something be sold, if it's as bad as that site claims it to be, for one thing.

that's just my view on that site. take it as you will :wink:

BTW, that is the kind of site I don't want my sister (with whom I am making soap) to see.

OMG, she'd become a recluse! :lol:

That site makes me laugh

I checked out Kiss my Face soap.

This is what the site has to say:

Hazard 0 out of 10 (which is good)

Compact for Safe Cosmetics
Non-compliant: This company has signed the Compact for Safe Cosmetics but is not in compliance because of their use of one or more ingredients prohibited or restricted under the Compact.

Ingredients from packaging: SAPONIFIED OLIVE OIL, WATER, SODIUM CHLORIDE

umm, which one of those ingredients is prohibited ?????

edit: found it further down the page:

Not assessed for safety in cosmetics by industry panel SAPONIFIED OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) OIL

ever read the MSDS for sodium chloride? as in regular old table salt?

anything can SOUND bad.

Yeah, I did a lot of research when I started making lotions, etc. and that is one of the sites I found. Some of the stuff is pretty bad, but some stuff that they have listed makes you want to roll your eyes and say "PUH-LEASE!"

I look at those things like I do if I see a "dirty dining" report on the news about a restaurant... I want to know WHAT the issue is because there's a big difference between getting a ding for someone touching their hair and then not washing their hands, and having cockroaches on food.

I agree about the difference between a roach and a hair, but if I found either in my food, I'd lose my appetite.

I'm not saying that you'd FIND a hair in your food... you're supposed to wash your hands after touching anything on your body, but it's just not realistic... but if the health inspector is there, you get dinged.

Oh, I know about health inspections. Both my husband and I worked in restaurants. He still does business with restaurants - he just doesn't work in them anymore. Personally, I wouldn't want to eat anything someone else touches if they've touched their hair or any other part of their body. I wash my hands constantly while I'm cooking. But that's because I can't stand my hands or fingernails to be dirty. And I've found my share of hairs in my food. There's been a bug or two, but thankfully not many, and not that big.

carebear said:
ever read the MSDS for sodium chloride? as in regular old table salt?

anything can SOUND bad.

I just received the MSDS sheets for sugar from the manufacturer. Apparently if it gets in your mouth you should rinse with plenty of fresh water, no medical care needed.

I guess they don't even realize their MSDS sheets hold the idea for the next crazy diet, lol.

gekko62 said:
Have you seen this one?

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn-skin-care-facts.aspx

It's written by Paula Begoun-with whom I don't always agree,but she debunks a few myths,& the ingredient dictionary is pretty good for basic info.There's also a section to check out different products..no jergens tho! :)

I have been reading extensively on her site, but her bashing of Bar Soap and companies that have Bar Soap in her range annoyed me a bit, so I decided to use the chat to talk to her customer service staff. Here is the chat:

Deborah: Good Afternoon. How may I help you today?

Sabine: I have been reading your site and I am wondering why you are so against bar soap

Sabine: ?

Deborah: The ingredients that keep bar soap or bar cleansers in their bar form are only somewhat water-soluble, which is why a soap film can be left behind on your sink or bathtub. This can prove problematic for some skin types. Additionally, bar soaps tend to be a bit more drying.

Sabine: actually, there are no ingredients holding bar soap together. Unless you are talking of detregent bars like Dove or Ivory

Deborah: In order to just be in that shape or form, it does have to have some ingredients that bind everything together. Ultimately, Paula's main concern is not about issues such as pore clogging as it is that she feels they are just irritating and drying. Essentially, there is just no reason to subject one's skin to these concerns repeatedly.

Deborah: Please know that you can follow up with Paula and her team directly on this too by using the following address: [email protected]

Deborah: Note that should you choose to write, it may be posted on our site.

Sabine: There is no ingredient needed to bind natural soap together. You cna have it in any shape you want, but it will always be hard as it is a salt of saponified oils...

Sabine: I don't mind it posted on your site

Sabine: I will follow up with her

I think I may mail her and point her towards some soap makers to debunk her own myths....

Hey,PG has incorrect reasoning in that regard I know,which is confusing,because some things she states are (well,at least appear to be) well researched.
It's one place I look if I'm ingredient researching.

Back