Anyone else watching the eagle cam?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work with a wildlife rescue organization - raptors (birds of prey including owls, hawks, eagles) actually make very good foster parents. Our organization tried to have one set of foster parents for each species at all times. They had experienced tree climbers climb the trees where the foster pair nested and secure a heavy-duty laundry basket into the tree and move the bird's nest into the laundry basket. (raptors are actually crappy nest builders.)

When baby raptors are separated from their parents, the organization tries to locate the parents' nest and return the babies to it. If they can't, then the babies are fostered. They started doing this b/c one year they had a group of baby barn owls and the organization was so strapped for money they couldn't afford the mice bills, so in desperation they placed them in a nest a birdwatcher had told them about.

I used to work with a wildlife rescue organization - raptors (birds of prey including owls, hawks, eagles) actually make very good foster parents. Our organization tried to have one set of foster parents for each species at all times. They had experienced tree climbers climb the trees where the foster pair nested and secure a heavy-duty laundry basket into the tree and move the bird's nest into the laundry basket. (raptors are actually crappy nest builders.)

When baby raptors are separated from their parents, the organization tries to locate the parents' nest and return the babies to it. If they can't, then the babies are fostered. They started doing this b/c one year they had a group of baby barn owls and the organization was so strapped for money they couldn't afford the mice bills, so in desperation they placed them in a nest a birdwatcher had told them about.

Dixie, that's fascinating. I've really enjoyed watching what devoted parents they are, so I guess it makes perfect sense that they'd be good as fosters. The one who's sitting on the babies settles themselves down so gently on top of them. And often the sitter "fluffs" the straw in the nest with its beak. And when feeding the eaglets, the adult will tear off little bits of food, and if a piece seems too big, the adult will eat it them self. I do wish there was a little more equality in the feeding, the stronger one who holds its head up higher, ends up getting more food. Hopefully the younger, weaker one will catch up. The other morning, the one not on the nest brought three fish in under an hour, still very alive. It was crazy! Would you happen to know where the one not sitting on the eggs goes at night? I guess I kind of expected them both to sleep in the nest, but that's not the case. Does the other one stay nearby?

This is fascinating. While kayaking, I've seen eagles nesting on man made perches (in beetle kill areas where the trees aren't strong enough to support their large nests). I never could get a good look at them, other than watching them catch fish from a respectful distance. Watching the cam is great!

Yes, I believe that the one not one the nest stays near by, when they are not hunting. I think it's usually not on the same tree, though, usually a different tree.

Thanks for that, Dixie. That's really interesting, and I wouldn't have expected it.

This is fascinating. While kayaking, I've seen eagles nesting on man made perches (in beetle kill areas where the trees aren't strong enough to support their large nests). I never could get a good look at them, other than watching them catch fish from a respectful distance. Watching the cam is great!

I know, isn't it amazing to be able to watch what's going on, like you were sitting there, right on the edge of the nest!? This is one of those moments when I'm so thankful for the internet. I'm really rooting for both babies, and I can't wait to see them get bigger and actually fly out of the nest!

Anyone been watching lately? I've been too busy. This morning the youngest bird isn't moving much :( It was the end of feeding time, maybe he was fed and sleepy?

ETA: okay I feel better...the mom just fed the little a nice meal!

Last edited:
Anyone been watching lately? I've been too busy. This morning the youngest bird isn't moving much :( It was the end of feeding time, maybe he was fed and sleepy?

ETA: okay I feel better...the mom just fed the little a nice meal!

Yes, they're both still there. The older one is definitely stronger, and seems to get fed more. I've seen the babies fighting, really going after one another, so I'm really hoping the little one makes it. I haven't been watching as much, because that's hard to see. Fingers crossed.

Yes, they're both still there. The older one is definitely stronger, and seems to get fed more. I've seen the babies fighting, really going after one another, so I'm really hoping the little one makes it. I haven't been watching as much, because that's hard to see. Fingers crossed.

It is very hard! The website said sibling rivalry can be a cause of demise for an eaglet. Most birds hatch in the order the eggs were laid so one sibling is always ahead of another but there is a point they catch up. The oldest does not always stay dominant. My fingers crossed too - so many obstacles for them to overcome!

It is very hard! The website said sibling rivalry can be a cause of demise for an eaglet. Most birds hatch in the order the eggs were laid so one sibling is always ahead of another but there is a point they catch up. The oldest does not always stay dominant. My fingers crossed too - so many obstacles for them to overcome!

Feeling a little more hopeful this morning. Looks like there are a couple of fish in the nest, so plenty for everyone. I just watched the babies getting fed, and of course, the older one is right up front, "elbowing" the other out of the way, and he ended up getting all the food. But I noticed something. It seems like maybe the adult kept feeding him, knowing that at some point he would be satisfied, and sit back and then the other eaglet would get to eat, without being bothered by the first one. That's just what happened, #1 got full, and relaxed, and then #2 got to eat. Come on #2, I'm rooting for you!!!

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

Snow yesterday in southern MN and northern IA. Both of the nests there have snow on them - especially the one in Decorah, IA. The adults look misearble. Hope it warms up enough to melt the snow today.

Feeling a little more hopeful this morning. Looks like there are a couple of fish in the nest, so plenty for everyone. I just watched the babies getting fed, and of course, the older one is right up front, "elbowing" the other out of the way, and he ended up getting all the food. But I noticed something. It seems like maybe the adult kept feeding him, knowing that at some point he would be satisfied, and sit back and then the other eaglet would get to eat, without being bothered by the first one. That's just what happened, #1 got full, and relaxed, and then #2 got to eat. Come on #2, I'm rooting for you!!!

Good to know; I'm super busy since school is out for 2 weeks of Spring break and when I checked this morning both babies were face down and motionless - with mom trying to nudge one.

Both babies being fed this morning from the meager scraps of what appear to be fish or maybe a snake? They need some groceries! I guess it was a fluke when I was watching the other day, and three fish were delivered in less than an hour. These little guys/gals have a good appetite, I hope mom or dad has good luck finding food today.

Thanks for that Stacy, I hadn't seen it. I've still been checking on them every day, and I'm amazed at how fast they're growing. They no longer look like little puff balls, they look like baby eagles! They've been exercising by stretching up really tall to be fed, and they've even been flapping their little wings. The parents have been leaving them uncovered for longer periods of time, so it's easier to catch a good look at them. It's really been fascinating to have the opportunity to have a close up peek inside an eagles nest, and I can't wait to see the babies get real feathers and eventually fly from the nest. I remember only too well, when bald eagles were an endangered species. It's good to see them back and going strong!

Amazing, I wish I had tuned in earlier. Beautiful birds, I sent the link to my sister in law she travels to see them.

Here's a pic from last night of the eaglets asleep. It seems that they have grown to the point to where the adult sitting on them can longer cover them completely. I watched for a few minutes, and they were fluttering their wings a bit in their sleep. Maybe dreaming of the day when they'll leave the nest?

dreaming2.jpg

I haven't checked in on these guys for awhile. It's dark in DC, so nothing happening there, and mom is sitting on the Decorah babies. The MN eagle doesn't have an adult there right now so good viewing of the babies. They've grown so much! It looks like they are starting to get their real feathers, and all three were preening themselves. It is fun to be able to watch these nests.

I haven't checked in on these guys for awhile. It's dark in DC, so nothing happening there, and mom is sitting on the Decorah babies. The MN eagle doesn't have an adult there right now so good viewing of the babies. They've grown so much! It looks like they are starting to get their real feathers, and all three were preening themselves. It is fun to be able to watch these nests.

Dibbles, the "babies" are no longer! They've reached the awkward adolescent phase...beaks too big for their faces, and their feet are huge! Their movements are jerky and awkward, they take a few faltering steps, and stretch their wings as if building up their flight muscles. Gone is the soft, downy, white fuzz they were born with, it's been replaced with a gray, furry layer. Not true feathers yet, but on the way there. Parents are still feeding them, but I did see one of the youngsters pecking at a fish the other day. The kids are growing up! I continue to be in awe of this "bird's eye view" of life in the nest.
© 2016 American Eagle Foundation,EAGLES.ORG

eaglets bigger.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't remembered to look at this for such a long time. The babies have grown into beautiful young adults. It seems the MN eagles have fledged, but the DC and Decorah eagles are still in the nest. It's fun to watch them testing their wings!

Latest posts

Back