Anyone else make sauerkraut?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah. I've got an antique 5 gal crock, from my grandmother, too. Unfortunately it's one of those things that produces WAY more than we can eat, so I don't do it more than once a year - and even give a good portion of that away.

Don't make it, but love to eat it. I'd never eat a hot dog without it, if I could help it, and was amazed when I traveled out west, that they don't put sauerkraut on their dogs. Whaaaat!!! Hot dogs steamed in beer, toasted bun, spicy mustard, piled with kraut...OMG! And yet, I've never thought of making it. My aunt used to fry onions, then rinse the sauerkraut, and add it to the pan. I liked it, but I think the rinsing, washed away some of the "sourness", and I missed that. But it's hard to imagine any way to eat it, that wouldn't be good. And I bet homemade is amazing. :thumbup:

Don't make it, but love to eat it. I'd never eat a hot dog without it, if I could help it, and was amazed when I traveled out west, that they don't put sauerkraut on their dogs. Whaaaat!!! Hot dogs steamed in beer, toasted bun, spicy mustard, piled with kraut...OMG! And yet, I've never thought of making it. My aunt used to fry onions, then rinse the sauerkraut, and add it to the pan. I liked it, but I think the rinsing, washed away some of the "sourness", and I missed that. But it's hard to imagine any way to eat it, that wouldn't be good. And I bet homemade is amazing. :thumbup:

Homemade is a lot better. :D

I love sauerkraut. Never made it, though. It sounds like something I'd do either extremely well or something I'd do extremely poorly. Either make the most awesome stuff in the world, or kill everyone with botulism, ptomaine, and toss in a little e. coli for a some excitement. Same thing with kimchi. Love kimchi, too. But would end up poisoning myself trying to make it. (Does anyone else eat the kraut right out of the can? Or is that just me? I like it best at room temp. Same with stewed tomatoes.)

Kraut out of a can ... ewww! (Sorry, Teresa -- I just can't do that! It gives me the shivers.) If store bought, it has to be the kind in the refrigerated section of the grocery store that comes in a bag -- can't think of the brand name at the moment. But homemade is best. My mom's mother used to make it. Yum.

I too buy the frest stuff in the refrigerated section. I love sauerkraut. My grandmother use to make her own. I've never ventured there as I like the store stuff just fine.

I do fermenting. Sauerkraut, kimchi, Carrot and daikon radish. Just do it in a 1/2 gallon ball Jar with a airtrap. Very easy to do.

I've made sauerkraut once or twice - it's great, but a batch is way too much for a one person household. What I do make is a mixed vegetable pickle - cauliflower, peppers, carrots, turnips, daikon, etc. using the same crock and method used for sauerkraut. Makes a great snack.

I love sauerkraut. Unfortunately, it's my hubby's least favorite foods. He dislikes cabbage in general or anything made from it. He even dislikes the smell of it, so it's not something I would normally consider making from scratch. The only time I ever have any in the house is at Christmas time when I make pierogi filling for our traditional family gathering on Christmas Eve, which he gracefully tolerates out of love for me. lol My favorite is the Claussen brand sold in a jar in the refrigerated section.

IrishLass :)

We tried and we failed haha.
My family used to make it in a huuge barrel and it would last us a whole year (I'm from eastern Europe).
Shop bought stuff is OK but nothing beats homemade.
Sister in law makes it and it's amazing. Her recipe was: chuck in this much of cabbage, that much of this and that and it'll be great. Well, it never worked for us. She probably has magic in her hands. She's a great cook and baker anyway.

Claussen .... that's the one! Thanks, IL!!!

ETA: Oh, and Franks is another decent store bought brand, again found in the refrigerated section of the grocery.

Last edited:
I will eat the Clausen right out of the jar. Room temperature is fine, cold is fine, heated is fine. Good stuff. I would probably love homemade, but, alas, my time is too occupied these days.

The only sauerkraut that I will eat is my grandmas homemade stuff. only thing is she is now in a nursing home and wont be making any more and cant quite remember the recipe. I have asked her a few times what it was and it changes every time. I'm glad I got the recipe for pīrāgi before the memory of it faded from her mind.

I make it and love it...seems I'm putting it with things like chicken salad and in sandwiches....just not PBJ!
Theres a tutorial I followed online...sauerkraut in a mason jar.....came out perfect!

Ok, you guys are either an inspiration or enablers. I've done some reading, including Earthen_step's tutorial, and I'm doing it. My cabbage is all cut (1 1/2 heads), salt has been massaged in, jar is being sterilized and will be filled shortly. Sauerkraut is something that my granddaughter eats by the jar full and I love it, too. I can remember my parents trying to make it (I wish I had that old crock!) and failing miserably every time, for some reason.

If it works, I can guarantee I'll be doing this more often.

Back