Anyone else in the habit of changing their plans partway through?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPunch

Reaction score
If the soap doesn't have any specific purpose set aside for it?

Made some wine soap with pinot and champagne fragrance that I originally intended to be one solid colour (beige/yellow). Part way through pouring the oils i thought:

"Wouldn't it be pretty if I did a few different yellows/beige and a white swirl , then it might look like bubbles and light dancing in a champagne glass"

Mixed up my colours, divided my batter and mixed everything up, then had to face the cruel reality of why I don't do much with swirls when I do wine soap. The pretty poured swirl turned into a spoon plop half way through. Managed to get it all in, sprinkled and swirled with the shimmer mica and put to bed before it went too much further.

Maybe i'll like it better this way, who knows :think:

Last edited:
The closest thing to changing my plans is altering a recipe because I have less of an oil than I thought I had. I don't really plan on using micas at all. unless I find some mineral eyeshadow lying around (not a smart idea, I admit but I'm lazy about makeup).

I'm one who doesn't - I'm making x soap so I do that. If I want to colour, I'll plan on that and the required tools and ingredients for it are there. If I want to swirl, the things are out for that to take place or they aren't, depending on my plan.

I too don't switch it up too often. Unless a color isn't quite what I was looking for then I might add another to one already mixed. I'm the type that generally has a plan and sticks to it. Changing can equal disaster sometimes.

When it comes to soaping I do last minute changes to plans, more than I care to admit. And it's mostly the oils. When I feel like soaping I sit with the soap calc, with a rough idea in mind and play with the numbers a bit, finally decide on something, write it down. But during measuring my mind goes, that might be too much olive oil or why not divide the butters percentage between two instead of just using one or something similar. So I make changes, quickly run the numbers again and proceed. My soaps come out just fine, may be better than intended because some olive oil gets replaced with sweet almond oil, some of the Shea butter makes place for cocoa butter or CO gets replaced with PKO. It's a good thing that I write them down and save a soap calc file as well.

The funny thing is with everything else in life, I get very upset with last minute plan changes and I get even more upset at the realization that I can't adapt quickly.

If I'm making a tried and true recipe or request I stick to the formula. If it's the first time playing with a new look/FO then I have been known to make last minute additions or changes. Usually it works... usually. :)

I am a "plan your work, work your plan" type person in everything. That includes soaping.

However, if something goes awry, I have been known to ad lib on the additives a bit to make is seem like I meant to do that. For example, I forgot to add sugar to a soap, so I added honey to avoid adding additional water needed to dissolve the sugar. The soap turned orange, so I added dried orange peel to make it seem planned.

I do not change my oils once I start, though. I stick strictly to my recipe. Only additives get tweaked.

Only if by "change the plan" you mean "forget to add an FO, colorant, or additive until it's too late to fix it."

Latest posts

Back