Anybody used CROTHIX liquid thickner - help please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimee1

Reaction score
How do you measure what quantity CROTHIX Liquid Thickner to add to shampoo. The extract from the plant is the base liquid. Wouldn't want lot' of additives. Just the liquid thickner. Thanks for helping in advance

Depending on what other ingredients you have, Crothix may or may not work as a thickening agent, just a warning. I never got it work with my surfactant recipes.

But the instructions I found said to add ½% at a time up to something like 2% and see what it does.

Am I understanding correctly that you aren't using an actual shampoo, but a plant extract you made yourself?

Those will quickly grow bacteria and mold without a very strong preservative. Even with a preservative, the high amount of plant matter usually makes preservation quite difficult. I'd make very small batches, and keep them refrigerated if possible. With that in mind, you can try thickening it small amounts of rhassoul clay or xanthan gum.

Crothix is only for use with surfactant based systems. It does not sound like you are using any surfactants.

As @AliOop mentioned a very good preservative is required for plant extracts.

Back